Knime application closes when trying to authenticate with Power BI

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to use the “Send to Power BI” node. When I try to authenticate the Knime app on my laptop closes. The first time I tried to authenticate the Knime app closed up and I arrived at the page where I had to give access to Knime. After clicking accept I was redirected to the “impossible to reach website” error page. After the first time, every time I try to authenticate Knime closes up and I’m directly sent to that web page. I have a Power BI pro account, I don’t know if this is necessary.

Any of you knows why I’m having these errors?

Thank you very much.

Edoardo

Hello Edoardo,
When you click the Authenticate button in the node’s dialog KNIME redirects you to Power BI and itself opens a small local web server. Power BI then checks your username and password and redirects your browser to that local web server that KNIME opened (http://127.0.0.1:51355/oauth). Via this redirect the KNIME Analytics Platform receives a token it can use to access the Power BI API on your behalf. It seems that for you the redirect to KNIME does not work and one reason for that could be a firewall that blocks KNIME from receiving the token. Can you make sure that port 51355 is not blocked from receiving data coming from the local computer?
Kind regards,
Alexander

2 Likes

Hello Alexander,

the port 51355 is currently open. The problem is that the Knime application closes when I try to authenticate, by doing that there is nothing listening on that port. I really don’t know why Knime closes up when I try to authenticate.

Kind regards,

Edoardo

Hi Edoardo,
You mean it completely crashes without any message? Do you see anything related to the crash when you go to View → Open KNIME Log? If not, can you check in the KNIME installation directory if new files appeared there, most likely with a .dump file extension? Sometimes the JVM creates such files after a crash and the files contain more info about the reason.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Yes, it crashes without any message. I checked the KNIME Log and I have this messages:

2021-03-22 13:47:34,875 : WARN  : ModalContext :  : Node : Send to Power BI : 0:33 : Not authenticated. Please authenticate in the Node Configuration.
2021-03-22 13:48:23,402 : WARN  : KNIME-Worker-6-Microsoft SQL Server Connector 0:1 :  : Node : Send to Power BI : 0:33 : Not authenticated. Please authenticate in the Node Configuration.
2021-03-22 13:48:43,072 : WARN  : KNIME-Worker-9-DB Reader 0:4 :  : Node : Send to Power BI : 0:33 : Not authenticated. Please authenticate in the Node Configuration.
2021-03-22 13:48:51,255 : WARN  : KNIME-Worker-8-GroupBy 0:10 :  : Node : Send to Power BI : 0:33 : Not authenticated. Please authenticate in the Node Configuration.
2021-03-22 13:48:51,549 : WARN  : KNIME-Worker-9-Column Expressions 0:16 :  : Node : Send to Power BI : 0:33 : Not authenticated. Please authenticate in the Node Configuration.
2021-03-22 13:48:51,619 : WARN  : KNIME-Worker-11-Numeric Outliers 0:21 :  : Node : Send to Power BI : 0:33 : Not authenticated. Please authenticate in the Node Configuration.
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  : PowerShell command powershell -inputformat none -outputformat text -NonInteractive -Command Get-MpComputerStatus -ErrorAction Stop | Select-Object -ExpandProperty AMServiceEnabled did not terminate successfully.
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  : Stderr is:
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  : Get-MpComputerStatus : The operation failed with the following error: 0x800106ba
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  : In riga:1 car:1
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  : + Get-MpComputerStatus -ErrorAction Stop | Select-Object -ExpandPropert ...
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  : + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2021-03-22 13:49:39,218 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  :     + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_MpComputerStatus:ROOT\Microsoft\...pComputerStatus) [Get-MpComputerS 
2021-03-22 13:49:39,219 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  :    tatus], CimException
2021-03-22 13:49:39,219 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  :     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x800106ba,Get-MpComputerStatus
2021-03-22 13:49:39,219 : ERROR : main :  : WindowsDefenderExceptionHandler :  :  :  

I also checked in the KNIME installation directory but there are no new files.
Do I have to disable Windows Defender Firewall?

Kind regards,

Edoardo

Hi Edoardo,
Before we go such drastic steps, let’s try some other things first. When KNIME crashes, can you check if the process lingers around in the task manager? Additionally, could you check the Windows event viewer (Right-click the Start icon → Choose Event Viewer) for any events related to KNIME? I think the System and Application events under Windows Logs might be interesting, but it would be good if you could also check the other logs. You can check the timestamp to narrow down events that might be related to the issue.
Do you use a proxy service or VPN? If so, maybe this interferes with KNIME opening that internal web server I was talking about.
Kind regards,
Alexander

1 Like

Hi Edoardo,
Were you able to find any hint in the Windows event viewer?
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hi Alexander,

sorry for the delay but i was busy lately. No, I didn’t find anything on the windows event viewer.

Kind regards,

Edoardo

Hi Edoardo,
And I assume the KNIME process was not visible in the task manager anymore? Additionally, there is a log file in your workspace under .metadata/.log. This is a different one than the knime.log. Could you have a look in there if there is anything pointing us into the right direction?
Kind regards,
Alexander

The last log I see is the following
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_252
java.vendor=AdoptOpenJDK
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=it_IT
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2021-03-22 13:49:41.203
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred.  They may interfere with normal accelerator operation.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2021-03-22 13:49:41.203
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for CTRL+F:
Binding(CTRL+F,
	ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.edit.findReplace,Find and Replace,
		Find and replace text,
		Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.edit,Edit,null,true),
		org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@32428874,
		,,true),null),
	org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
	org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,,system)
Binding(CTRL+F,
	ParameterizedCommand(Command(knime.commands.findnode,Find Node...,
		Finds a Node in the workflow.,
		Category(knime.command.category,KNIME Workflow Editor commands,Commands available for the workflow editor,true),
		org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchHandlerServiceHandler@3c65f00e,
		,,true),null),
	org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
	org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,,system)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 4 0 2021-03-22 13:49:43.001
!MESSAGE WinHttp.GetProxyForUrl for pac failed with error 'Unable to download proxy auto-configuration script
' #12167.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2021-03-22 13:49:43.841
!MESSAGE Exception during event notification
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location must be absolute: ..
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.checkValidLocation(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:756)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.contains(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:252)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.addRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:167)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.notify(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:825)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core 4 0 2021-03-22 13:49:43.859
!MESSAGE Exception during event notification
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location must be absolute: ..
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.checkValidLocation(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:756)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.contains(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:252)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.addRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:167)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.notify(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:825)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)

Kind regards,

Edoardo

Hello Edoardo,
Sorry for not responding for so long. Somehow this thread vanished off my radar. Thank you for sending the log file. Unfortunately I do not think it contains any useful hints. The only thing that might be related to the error is this:
!MESSAGE WinHttp.GetProxyForUrl for pac failed with error 'Unable to download proxy auto-configuration script
Do you have the proxy setting “native” set under Preferences → General → Network connections?
Kind regards,
Alexander

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.