Knime Capabilities on Geo Fencing and Geo coordinates

Hi Community Users,

I am new to KNIME and I want to understand KNIME’s capabilities on processing a latitude/longitude information.

1. Can Knime return a Geo Fence ID if a lat/long pair is given ? Assuming, geo fences have unique IDs and have polygon information (set of lat/long coordinates to define a geo fence).
  2. What are the helpful Knime nodes in similar requirements ?

Thanks
Sudheer

Hi,
I think the KNIME Spatial Processing Nodes extension will be quite useful for you. Especially the node Relate Geometries looks like it can help you with geofencing.
Kind regards
Alexander

1 Like

Hi Alexander,

This is a great help. ReadFromKML, CreatePointFrom2DCoordinates and RelateGeometries did the trick. I now have one limitation which can be explained in below case:

1. I have latitude and longitude pair. I converted this as a point using EPSG:4326 coordinate reference system,
  2. I have four polygon shapes defined in KML file.
  3. Now I want to know in which polygon my point is located. RelateGeometries did the trick but my point has to be duplicated into 4 records to test against 4 polygon shapes.

What is the smart way to test a point against all 4 polygons and find which is the one polygon that has this point ?

Thanks
Sudheer

Hi,
I have never worked with the extension but I believe you can do that using a loop, such as the Chunk Loop Start node. Or you use a Cross Joiner to create a table with each combination of your point and the shapes.
Kind regards
Alexander

HI @AlexanderFillbrunn

The previous solution worked. But now I have a larger volume of records. 1,80,000 records have be validated against 230 polygons with RelateGeometries node. This is taking crazy amount of time. Is there a better way to do this ? Chunk Loop and cross join helps to certain extent but considering the volume of data, is there any smart way ?

Thanks
Sudheer

Hi Sudheer,
unfortunately I don’t know of any good solution. If every record really has to be related to every polygon, I don’t see a way of decreasing the load, you will always need 180,000 x 230 comparisons.
Kind regards,
Alexander

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.