Knime does...nothing!

Hi,

I've installed knime 1.3.5 a couple of times previously without any problems. At my new job and new linux workstation (running Centos 5.2) I installed it cleanly, and fire it up with the knime.sh command. The yellow Knime logo pops up, and then...nothing. The only message in the terminal from which I started knime reads:

Using '/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9' as MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME for internal web browser

and the prompt is returned.

Please advice!

This sounds like the firefox 3.0 eclipse problem. Can you try the solution outlined here and let us know if it solves the problem?

Bernd

Hi again,

I installed xulrunner 1.8 , and added its path as an argument when starting kime.sh, but it still looks for xulrunner 1.9.

Where exactly is the mozilla_five_home defined?

Thanks

HomerE wrote:
I installed xulrunner 1.8 , and added its path as an argument when starting kime.sh, but it still looks for xulrunner 1.9.

I assume you did that by settings -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=DEST_DIR/xulrunner?

I wonder because this should overwrite the mozilla_five_home variable (which is not a known workaround according the eclipse bug report).

HomerE wrote:
Where exactly is the mozilla_five_home defined?

Not sure if that's working but if you want to set it, you should do that in the shell, which you use to launch knime.sh.

Here's what I enter (on one line):

[evert@earth ~]$ /opt/knime_1.3.5/knime.sh -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/opt/knime_1.3.5/xulrunner
Using '/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9' as MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME for internal web browser
[evert@earth ~]$

And then it does not work, I guess? Or is there only the warning message but apart from that everything works?

Can you try to run the command as follows:
[evert@earth ~]$ /opt/knime_1.3.5/.knime -data /opt/knime_1.3.5/workspace -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/opt/knime_1.3.5/xulrunner
[evert@earth ~]$

The -data /opt/knime_1.3.5/workspace points to the workspace that is otherwise set by the knime.sh script.

MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME should be pointing to the folder where xulrunner-1.8 is installed:

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/path/xulrunner-1.8 (for bash shell)

Then knime works and displays the node descriptions correctly. I obtained this information from Schrödinger, since I wanted to run their extensions. Remarkably though, this works for the knime distribution supplied by Schrödinger (which now is also version 1.3.5), but not for the stand-alone version I downloaded from Konstanz.

Did you try the suggestion in my previous post? If you set the the MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME prior to launching knime, the script (knime.sh) won't do any guessing of some sort (check the script). In particular it can't print the warning "Using '/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9' as MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME for internal web browser". (Maybe you closed the bash shell in between and by that reset the environment variables?)

I just noticed that you are discussing a similar (same?) problem with Thorsten in a different thread. I assume you don't object if we close this thread then?

Yes, please close the thread with Torsten.

If I use

[evert@earth ~]$ /opt/knime_1.3.5/.knime -data /opt/knime_1.3.5/workspace -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/opt/knime_1.3.5/xulrunner
[evert@earth ~]$

then nothing happens, except for the yellow credential window being flashed briefly. No error messages of any sort.

Actually, I will close this thread and leave the other open. The fact that KNIME does "nothing" on startup is very likely due to the fact that it's started with the wrong workspace directory (the argument "-data ...."). But that is very nicely explained in Thorsten's last post.

Please reply in the other thread.

Thanks!
Bernd