KNIME FTP connector issue

Hello, I am having problems with the new FTP connector node.
I am using KNIME 4.3.2.

The problem I am having is that after the connection has been successfully made KNIME is failing to retrieve the folder structure (source paths) of the FTP server.

If I add a “Transfer Files” node, it throws me an error: “Transfer Files 0:356 An error occured during the process of retrieving the source paths. See log for more details.”

Full error in logs:
2021-05-05 13:36:31,892 : ERROR : SwingWorker-pool-10-thread-3 : : TransferFilesStatusMessageReporter : Transfer Files : 0:356 : An error occured during the process of retrieving the source paths. See log for more details.
org.knime.core.node.InvalidSettingsException: The specified folder /FTP_DATA does not exist.
at org.knime.core.node.util.CheckUtils.checkSetting(CheckUtils.java:269)
at org.knime.core.node.util.CheckUtils.checkSetting(CheckUtils.java:219)
at org.knime.filehandling.core.defaultnodesettings.filechooser.FileChooserPathAccessor.getRootPath(FileChooserPathAccessor.java:289)
at org.knime.filehandling.utility.nodes.transfer.TransferFilesStatusMessageReporter.report(TransferFilesStatusMessageReporter.java:126)
at org.knime.filehandling.core.defaultnodesettings.status.StatusSwingWorker.doInBackgroundWithContext(StatusSwingWorker.java:107)
at org.knime.filehandling.core.defaultnodesettings.status.StatusSwingWorker.doInBackgroundWithContext(StatusSwingWorker.java:1)
at org.knime.core.util.SwingWorkerWithContext.doInBackground(SwingWorkerWithContext.java:106)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

When trying to set the working directory of “FTP Connector” node is throes no warning or errors but the browse button menu shows an empty source (same in “Transfer Files” source browse).

When testing the same FTP site with the same credentials using “FTP Connection (Legacy)”, the connection is successful and when adding the “Download (legacy)” or “List Remote Files (Legacy)” they both show the folder structure:

This bug is not for all FTP servers, when checking with a different FTP server (using FTP Connector) everything works and the source path is displayed:

It is clear it is some kind of server configuration that is leading to this behavior, but I am unable to diagnose what.

Checking with WireShark and comparing the two servers both with “FTP Connector” the connection protocols match, the only difference I see when browsing the directories is the response to “Request: LIST -a /”.
The server that is not working returns:
Response: 125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
Response: 226 Transfer complete.

Whilst the working one returns:
Response: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file list
Response: 226 Transfer complete

Both servers work perfectly when viewing the source paths with WinSCP.

Has anybody encountered this behavior or knows what might be the cause for this?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

2 Likes

Hi @AAuzins,

we are currently looking into this issue.
I will get back to you as soon as I know more.

Best,
Julian

2 Likes

Additional info about the servers:
The one that everything works is an Ubuntu server with PostgreSQL back end FTP server.
The one that has issues with the new node is a Microsoft windows server ISS FTP server

2 Likes

Hi @AAuzins,

we were able to reproduce this issue with the ISS FTP Server.
We created a ticket for that.

I will let you know when the issue is resolved.
Thank you for reporting it!

Best,
Julian

2 Likes

Hi @AAuzins,

the issue is fixed in the nightly built. The fix will be released with the next KNIME bugfix release 4.3.4 (not yet scheduled) and the major release 4.4.0 (to be released in July).

Best,
Julian

3 Likes

Nice, thanks @julian.bunzel , looking forward to the next release.

Hey @bruno29a,

just wanted to inform you that KNIME 4.4.0 is out. :slight_smile:
The fix is available for KNIME 4.3.4 as well which was released last week.

Best,
Julian

2 Likes

Nice to hear. Thanks for the update @julian.bunzel

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.