Knime gets slow Startup/Repository file Chooser Configuration with lots of files

I am doing a lot of file downloads leading to a folder with several thousand files within my workspace (download_1_2020_08_01.csv.gz, …).

Neither Knime’s startup nor the “Repository File Chooser Configuration”-node seem to cope well with this in Knime 4.0.2. Startup gets very slow (> 1 minutes) and the “Repository File Chooser Configuration”-node does not react for ages (> 10 minutes).

For sure, I have a lot of files in a subfolder but what surprises me is that it has any effect on startup and the configuration node since those have nothing to do with the files.

Hi @petermeissner -

On the first issue - as far as startup time goes, is this something that you have noticed only once those files are downloaded? If you delete the files (or just move them from the workspace) does your startup time improve?

There is a known issue with Windows Defender and the KNIME workspace that can sometimes cause slowdowns. Maybe that’s related? Check here for a fix: https://www.knime.com/faq#q38

Also, if you’re able to upgrade to 4.2, we’ve made some changes under the hood with Eclipse that significantly improves startup times.

As for the Repository File Chooser Configuration issue - is that node pointed to a folder in your workspace or somewhere else? That’s definitely strange. Are you seeing any errors or warnings assoicated with the node, or just the very long lag time?

1 Like

On the first issue - as far as startup time goes, is this something that you have noticed only once those files are downloaded? If you delete the files (or just move them from the workspace) does your startup time improve?

A: Yes, its only slow as long as I have those thousands of files within the folder and goes back to normal if files are deleted.

There is a known issue with Windows Defender and the KNIME workspace that can sometimes cause slowdowns. Maybe that’s related? Check here for a fix: https://www.knime.com/faq#q38

A: Thanks, I will have a look.

Also, if you’re able to upgrade to 4.2, we’ve made some changes under the hood with Eclipse that significantly improves startup times.

A: Good to know! Unfortunate not an easy option.

As for the Repository File Chooser Configuration issue - is that node pointed to a folder in your workspace or somewhere else? That’s definitely strange. Are you seeing any errors or warnings assoicated with the node, or just the very long lag time?

A: Yes, its pointing to the workspace folder.

Hi @petermeissner -

Just checking in on this - did adding an exception for the KNIME workspace folder in Windows defender improve your startup times?

Sorry.

I had a look but enterprise policies prevent me from changing any Windows Defender settings. So I cannot say if it helps.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.