Knime hangs upon dragging first node into workspace

Hello all,

I have a workflow on machine A (Windows 7) that works.  When I try to run the workflow on machine B, I am having various problems including out-of-memory the first time I interact with the Math Formula node, and out of memory using whe Weka J48 node.  I have tried 2.6.2, 2.6.3, 2.7.2, and 2.8.2.  I have tried clean installs and copying the installs from the machine A to machine B.  The closest I have gotten to a solution on machine B is to clean-install the 32-bit version (I have a 64-bit machine but recall something about Java being 32-bit) and importing my workflow.  Then I get out-of-memory errors despite the memory limits being 8 times larger than those on machine A.  At least it doesn't crash.

Here is a sampling of the crash reports from the eclipse DOS window

------------------------------------ Testing 2.8.2 with just Weka and JEP. 

Attempting to double-click on JEP math f(x) box.  It crashed.

Nov 04, 2013 6:16:38 PM com.knime.enterprise.client.beanlookup.ServerContext createInitialContext

INFO: Created intial context for host publicserver.knime.org on port 47037

[GenericPropertiesCreator] classloader in use is not the system classloader: using static entries in weka/gui/GenericObjectEditor.props rather than dynamic class discovery.

---Registering Weka Editors---

WARN     ModalContext Math Formula       Convert to int parameter was not saved before. Next configuration will save it.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"

WARN     main Math Formula 2:93:77       failed to apply settings: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.nfunk.jep.function.Logarithm

Error while logging event loop exception:

ERROR    main NodeContainerEditPart      The dialog pane for node 'Math Formula 2:93:77' has thrown a 'OutOfMemoryError'. That is most likely an implementation error.

-------------------------- 2.8.2 with just Weka and JEP.  Now I deleted the JEP math node f(x) and tried to recreate it.  It crashed again.

Nov 04, 2013 6:19:55 PM com.knime.enterprise.client.beanlookup.ServerContext createInitialContext

INFO: Created intial context for host publicserver.knime.org on port 47037 [GenericPropertiesCreator] classloader in use is not the system classloader: using static entries in weka/gui/GenericObjectEditor.props rather than dynamic class discovery.

WARN     ModalContext Math Formula       Convert to int parameter was not saved before. Next configuration will save it.

WARN     main Math Formula       No configuration available

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"

ERROR    main NodeContainerEditPart      The dialog pane for node 'Math Formula 2:93:93' has thrown a 'OutOfMemoryError'. That is most likely an implementation error.

Exception in thread "main" Exception in thread "Thread-11"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "Thread-11"

------------------------- Now trying 2.7.2 again with the right JDBC. 

Yes, it had the right JDBC.  I started knime, and it came up with the right workflow.  I reset the Database Reader, and told it to execute.  Knime crashed.

[GenericPropertiesCreator] classloader in use is not the system classloader: using static entries in weka/gui/GenericObjectEditor.props rather than dynamic class discovery.

WARN     Weka Classifier Writer  Selected output file "C:\Users\williamn\Documents\KNIME\Classifier_CategoryOnly\StoredModel.zip" exists and will be overwritten!

WARN     Weka Predictor  Could not find the attribute '5MM MARYLAND DISSECTOR' in the DataTableSpec of the test data

Exception in thread "pool-1-thread-1" Exception in thread "pool-1-thread-2"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "pool-1-thread-1"

Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError thrown from the UncaughtExceptionHandler in thread "pool-1-thread-2"

ERROR    Database Reader         Execute failed: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

ERROR    KNIME-Worker-0 Database Reader  Execute failed: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

--------------------- Now installing 2.8.2 32-bit version.

It runs without crashing, but it runs out of heap space.

The version on my machine runs farther without getting stuck, and does not run out of heap space, despite its settings being much smaller.  I believe that it is 64-bit.

--------------------- Now installing 2.8.2 64-bit version on my laptop.

Nov 05, 2013 3:36:51 PM com.knime.enterprise.client.beanlookup.ServerContext createInitialContext

Nov 05, 2013 3:48:51 PM com.knime.enterprise.client.beanlookup.ServerContext createInitialContext

WARN     main Database Reader    No database connection available.

Can you send your KNIME configuration (available via Help->About KNIME->Installation Details->Configuration)?

Hi Thor,

Thank you very much for responding.  I am completely out of ideas.

Attached are the configurations for 2.7.2 on machine A (which works) and a straight copy of that directory to machine B, which reliably crashes in various ways.  In particular, attempting to configure a database reader node makes it crash.  The Eclispec window has no information.

Many thanks,

Bill

It looks like you starting eclipsec.exe instead of knime.exe in all cases where it doesn't work. This won't pick up the knime.ini and not set the available. memory

Ah, thank you.  You are correct.  I was following an instruction I read in the forum somewhere - embarrassing but now I cannot find it - that said to run Knime by starting eclipsec.exe.  I am feeling very stupid right now.

I am very thankful to you for your help.

Bill