KNIME hangup: Upgrading to 2.11.1 hangs with my standard knime-workspace

Hi

I encountered a serious problem when upgrading to KNIME 2.11.1 from  within my 2.11 version.

Accessing my standard knime-workspace resulted in an hanging system - KNIME did not respond anymore!  (My standard knime-workflow contains a lot of workflows - also many of your 'examples'!)

Looking into the log file, I found:

2015-01-17 18:06:34,498 INFO  main DatabaseDriverLoader : Could not create instance of JDBC driver class 'com.vertica.jdbc.AbstractDriver': null
2015-01-17 18:06:34,502 DEBUG main DatabaseDriverLoader : Could not create instance of JDBC driver class 'com.vertica.jdbc.AbstractDriver': null
java.lang.InstantiationException
    at sun.reflect.InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseDriverLoader.readZip(DatabaseDriverLoader.java:230)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseDriverLoader.loadDriver(DatabaseDriverLoader.java:214)

Killing the hanging KNIME via taskmanager and restarting it using a new (empty) knime-workspace worked and no 'Exceptions' were found in the log! Importing some of my WF into this empty workspace worked and I was able to execute them.

So it seems to me that some information within the 'knime-workspace' - e.g.nodes of  the differen WF? - causes this problem.

Best

Erich

Hi Erich,

it seems to be a problem with the HP Vertica Connector node. Have you installed the KNIME Connectors for Common Databases feature? Can you drag and drop the HP Vertica connecor onto a workflow?

Thanks for your help,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

yes I can drag-n-drop the 'Vertica Connector' onto the workflow panel. But by doing so, the stack-dump listed below appears in the log file. The good thig is (for me) that the system does not hang-up anymore - aslo switching to different work-spaces seems to work.

Best

Erich

Logfile:

Dragging the 'Vertica Connector' to an empty WF.

2015-01-19 21:59:29,584 DEBUG main NodeTemplateDropTargetListener2 : drop: DropTargetEvent{DropTarget {} time=2159631 data=[org.knime.bigdata.vertica.node.connector.VerticaConnectorNodeFactory] x=963 y=350 item=null operations=1 operation=1 feedback=1 dataTypes={ 50126 } currentDataType=50126}
2015-01-19 21:59:29,797 INFO  main DatabaseDriverLoader : Could not create instance of JDBC driver class 'com.vertica.jdbc.AbstractDriver': null
2015-01-19 21:59:29,802 DEBUG main DatabaseDriverLoader : Could not create instance of JDBC driver class 'com.vertica.jdbc.AbstractDriver': null
java.lang.InstantiationException
    at sun.reflect.InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseDriverLoader.readZip(DatabaseDriverLoader.java:230)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseDriverLoader.loadDriver(DatabaseDriverLoader.java:214)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseDriverLoader.loadDriversFromExtensionPoint(DatabaseDriverLoader.java:338)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseDriverLoader.<clinit>(DatabaseDriverLoader.java:134)
    at org.knime.core.node.port.database.DatabaseConnectionSettings.<init>(DatabaseConnectionSettings.java:261)
    at org.knime.base.node.io.database.connection.util.DefaultDatabaseConnectionSettings.<init>(DefaultDatabaseConnectionSettings.java:64)
    at org.knime.bigdata.vertica.node.connector.VerticaConnectorSettings.<init>(VerticaConnectorSettings.java:34)
    at org.knime.bigdata.vertica.node.connector.VerticaConnectorNodeModel.<init>(VerticaConnectorNodeModel.java:53)
    at org.knime.bigdata.vertica.node.connector.VerticaConnectorNodeFactory.createNodeModel(VerticaConnectorNodeFactory.java:40)
    at org.knime.bigdata.vertica.node.connector.VerticaConnectorNodeFactory.createNodeModel(VerticaConnectorNodeFactory.java:1)
    at org.knime.core.node.NodeFactory.callCreateNodeModel(NodeFactory.java:461)
    at org.knime.core.node.Node.<init>(Node.java:273)
    at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.internalAddNewNode(WorkflowManager.java:604)
    at org.knime.core.node.workflow.WorkflowManager.createAndAddNode(WorkflowManager.java:572)
    at org.knime.workbench.editor2.commands.CreateNodeCommand.execute(CreateNodeCommand.java:109)
    at org.eclipse.gef.commands.CommandStack.execute(CommandStack.java:199)
    at org.knime.workbench.editor2.NodeTemplateDropTargetListener2.drop(NodeTemplateDropTargetListener2.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.DelegatingDropAdapter$3.run(DelegatingDropAdapter.java:211)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:49)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:175)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.DelegatingDropAdapter.drop(DelegatingDropAdapter.java:209)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DNDListener.handleEvent(DNDListener.java:91)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1085)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1070)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:782)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DropTarget.Drop(DropTarget.java:456)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DropTarget.Drop_64(DropTarget.java:392)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DropTarget$3.method6(DropTarget.java:260)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.ole.win32.COMObject.callback6(COMObject.java:119)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.ole.win32.COM.DoDragDrop(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DragSource.drag(DragSource.java:363)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DragSource.access$0(DragSource.java:289)
    at org.eclipse.swt.dnd.DragSource$1.handleEvent(DragSource.java:172)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4172)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3761)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2701)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2665)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2499)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:679)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:668)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at org.knime.product.rcp.KNIMEApplication.start(KNIMEApplication.java:130)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)
2015-01-19 21:59:30,631 DEBUG main NodeContainer : Setting dirty flag on test11.1 0
2015-01-19 21:59:30,632 DEBUG KNIME-Workflow-Notifier WorkflowEditor : Workflow event triggered: WorkflowEvent [type=NODE_ADDED;node=0:1;old=null;new=Vertica Connector 0:1 (IDLE);timestamp=19.01.2015 21:59:30]
2015-01-19 21:59:30,636 DEBUG main NodeContainer : test11.1 0 has new state: IDLE
2015-01-19 21:59:30,639 DEBUG KNIME-Workflow-Notifier WorkflowRootEditPart : WorkflowRoot: workflow changed, refreshing children/connections..
2015-01-19 21:59:30,643 WARN  main Vertica Connector : No hostname for database server given
2015-01-19 21:59:30,647 DEBUG KNIME-Workflow-Notifier WorkflowEditor : Workflow event triggered: WorkflowEvent [type=WORKFLOW_DIRTY;node=0;old=null;new=null;timestamp=19.01.2015 21:59:30]
2015-01-19 21:59:30,655 DEBUG KNIME-Workflow-Notifier WorkflowRootEditPart : WorkflowRoot: workflow changed, refreshing children/connections..
2015-01-19 21:59:30,651 DEBUG main WorkflowManager : Added new node 0:1
2015-01-19 21:59:30,767 DEBUG main WorkflowRootEditPart : part: NodeAnnotationEditPart(  )
2015-01-19 21:59:30,801 DEBUG main WorkflowRootEditPart : part: NodeContainerEditPart( Vertica Connector 0:1 (IDLE) )

Hi Ernst,

thanks a lot for checking and I'm glad that your KNIME works again as expected. I checked and get the same 'exceptions' when I drag and drop the Vertica node. It is related to the JDBC driver of the Vertica node and not an error. So the problem with your workspace must have had a different reason.

Bye,

Tobias

Hi Ernst/Tobias

I have had exactly the same problem today. I cannot load KNIME anymore with my usual workspace, it hangs on the splash screen.

Slecting a new workspace allows KNIME to start . A workaround seems to be to move all your previous workflows to this new workspace then KNIME starts OK.

Mark

Hang problem at start up still present in version 2.11.3.

Worked around the problem by doing the same thing as Mark E.  I created a new workspace and selected it on start-up.  

Now have to migrate workflows.  This is inconvenient.

There is a bug in the 2.11.x versions related to the placement of the windows in the application.  (I’ve confirmed that this is a bug with the KNIME team.)  If KNIME hangs at the splash screen, you should try deleting the workbench.xml file, which is located inside your workspace folder in <workspace> \.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ui.workbench.  KNIME will then open properly though your windows will be in the default locations.

If that doesn’t work, you could try the more drastic measure of deleting (or renaming) the entire .metadata folder.  You will lose all your saved preferences, but your workspace will open and your workflows will all be accessible.

Hope this helps.

Tim