loop of IP Ranges

How do I write a loop in KNIME to have a table of the IP range I want?

I have a CSV file containing the initial IP and the final IP of an IP range and I want to have a table of IPs between the two.

Hi @hasanmirmajidi and welcome to the KNIME forum.

Does your format have some format. I guess that it is a Sting with a numeric arrangement inside. You would need to extract both in your ‘ranges data’ and in your ‘IP data’ the numeric part of the IP

Once you have it; start looping from the ranges data with a ‘Table Row to Variable Loop’ and connect the variables port to your IP data using a ‘Rule Engine’ node with a double rule: ‘higher that lower bound’ and ‘lower than higher bound’ TRUE …

A different approach using numeric as well would be: by the use of binning nodes first and then start with a Group Loop…

If you need further help, please provide some sample of your data; then we can figure out something more elaborated.

BR

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @hasanmirmajidi.

Check out this recent post for one idea. It’s about generating telephone numbers but I think the approach could easily be adapted to apply to IP addresses.

4 Likes

Hello. Thanks for your kindness.
Unfortunately, I’m very novice and did not understand much of your explanation.
Sample of my data:
196.168.122.0 = Initial IP
192.168.255.255 = Final IP
My favorite data:

Hello.
excellent.
What node or component do you use to create a phone number list?

Hello @hasanmirmajidi
I can’t see a logic in these IP numbers and neither on ranges definition.

Could you provide us an example on:

1. how your input looks like
  2. the logic to define a range (binning data format)
  3. the desired output

BR

1 Like

HI, I think I see what you are wanting.

I made use of standard nodes to create the required rows based on the input address range, and then used a java snippet to create the actual IP address for each row.

And just for giggles, packaged something very similar up into a component…

Here is the workflow.
Ip Range Loop.knwf (43.3 KB)

The component has also been uploaded to the hub, and can be pulled in from here:

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This has to be the worst and most un-optimised way to do it, but both “Create Table Structure” and “Add Empty Rows” freeze KNIME when I tried to append 4 billion rows/columns. This was to test whether it would work to create every IP at once. It doesn’t, so I created the required number of rows via a loop, 1 row at a thyme.
An IP adress is basically a number, with a range between 0 and the max value of an unsigned 32 bit integer. Problem1: KNIME is a bit hobbly once you leave the 32 bit signed integer territory. I converted the IPs into long ints, created the necessary number of rows and filled in the IP strings based of the start IP.

Ok, so Brian was a bit faster than me. And probably has a better solution than me. I’ll have a look now :evergreen_tree:
edit: We’re doing the same thing, but Brian is more smart about it. :sweat_smile:

unoptimised IP creation.knwf (99.4 KB)

1 Like

Lol @Thyme … not sure more smart is really right… and for the reasons you’ve already mentioned I don’t think I’d like to stress test my solution across anything other than “small” subnet ranges :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you very much.
You helped tremendously.

Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.