Node Repository w/o icons & unable to configure nor inspect node data

Hi,

I encountered an odd issue where the node repository does not show any icons. I also can not configure any node nor inspect the nodes data output.

Though, running a workflow i.e. via batch mode works fine. File and folder permissions look good too. I also downloaded Knime form scratch and face the same issues. Struggling to comprehend the issue and hope someone else might have an idea.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Hi @mw,

which KNIME version and OS are you running? Any printscreen? Have you checked is there some information in KNIME log after starting KNIME?

Br,
Ivan

HI @ipazin,

using Linux (AWS WorkSpace) and the latest Knime version 4.1.3. The console is empty upon application start.

Best
Mike

Hi @mw,

see here: workflow project opening problem

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Thanks @ipazin. I think I’ve identified two possible causes after approaching the migration to another host differently.

Worth to note beforehand is that I replicated the WorkSpace exactly. What I did was just copy & paste the workflow folder. The other one was to import Knime settings form a Knime running on Mac OS X.

By re-downloading from scratch, not importing Knime settings and importing the entire workspace folder which I exported properly, I fixed the issue.

Enjoy your weeken
Mike

2 Likes

Hi @ipazin,

I tracked it down. The cause is a, why so ever, knime.ini. I copied that form the prev. AWS WorkSpace but some lines seem to have gone missing.

Once the knime.ini as follows was loading during Knime startup, the application was “damaged” and could not be repaired even by reverting the changes to the original / default knime.ini.

Damaged knime.ini

-vmargs
-server
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
-Dosgi.classloader.lock=classname
-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:+UnsyncloadClass
-XX:+UseG1GC
-Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=0
-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,javax/swing/text/GlyphView,getBreakSpot
-Dorg.knime.container.cellsinmemory=10000000
-XX:MaxPermSize=4g
-Xmx24g
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.disablePrinting

Correct knime.ini

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.4.0.v20161219-1356.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.551.v20171108-1834
-vm
plugins/org.knime.binary.jre.linux.x86_64_1.8.0.202-b08/jre/bin
-vmargs
-server
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
-Dosgi.classloader.lock=classname
-XX:+UnlockDiagnosticVMOptions
-XX:+UnsyncloadClass
-XX:+UseG1GC
-Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=0
-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,javax/swing/text/GlyphView,getBreakSpot
-Xmx2048m
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.disablePrinting

Do you think it is worth it to put a check in place whenever or not the knime.ini contains the required and valid parameters?

Best
Mike

Hi there @mw,

glad you managed to fix it. Not sure if it’s worth it and this seems more an Eclipse thing than KNIME. Also knime.ini is copied from Mac to Linux if I got it right and I wouldn’t recommend doing it…

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.