outport view

hi all,
I am running knime_1.2.1 under ubuntu 7.04. the 'data outport' command from the nodes' context menu always comes up with an empty box (i.e. the list is not shown). now I realized that I also get a blank box (titled 'Filereader: Advanced settings') when I hit the 'Advanced...'-button in the configurations-window of 'file reader' nodes (but this is not so important for me).
In the configurations-window of the file reader, I can see the read-in data. I can also see the same data in downstream table-nodes. but I cannot see the table in the 'outport'-view of the node itself. It would be great to track the data in my running model using the nodes' 'outport'-functionality. I don't want to use a table-node after every statistical node, because that would make the whole model rather complex in appearance (I plan to present it to an audience). Is there a way to make the 'outport'-view run under linux?
Mario[/img]

Hi maiworm,

dump question - but its my first thought: do you executed the file reader node?
Because the data is only available at the outport when the node was executed...

If you executed the node please excuse my brazeness ;o)

Then we have to look at the problem. But our developers using linux (don't ask me which one since I'm using windows) never encountered this problem.

Regards,

Fabian

dill,
no problem with that question - I really wish that the problem is really simple:)

I am having the described problem when the node is on.
Mario.

Hi Mario,

I had the chance to try it under ubuntu 7.1 with KNIME 1.2.1 (not the developer verison) and it worked perfectly well. Maybe it depends on the newer ubuntu version?
Do you use KNIME or the KNIME Developer Version?

Regards,

Fabian

hi fabian,
I am using the 'user' version.
hmm. would be strange if it depends on the ubuntu-version.
perhaps I should have a go with the KNIME developer version...
Mario.

don't think so, since I've also tried it with KNIME (not the developer version) - and the differences between KNIME and the developer version of KNIME shouldn't have ANY effect on the GUI.

Is it possible for you to try it with the ubuntu version 7.1? Or is this too much overhead? Hmm, probably: change the OS to run an application :(

rrgh. I think it's too much for me:) setting up a new ubuntu with all programs and options just for a vague notion that I could get a table view in KNIME? buh. no.
perhaps I should try to find a way with many 'interactive tables'. or switch to windows (it works perfectly under win). but the Rserve() implementation for win is quite poor. Have to think about that.
Mario.

Hmm. I'm really sorry about that - but as I mentioned before: we never encountered this problem with any linux distribution and also with ubuntu 7.1 it works. I know this doesn't help you at all - but it seems that this problem is not related to KNIME.

Maybe you can use one interactive table and change the connection during your presentation, i.e. connect it to the currently described node?

Best regards and good luck for the presentation!

Fabian

thank you.
mario.

Mario,

Have you tried resizing the window or the sub-dialog in the file reader? Occasionally I get blank dialogs in some 3rd party nodes when I open the dialog. Resizing it then show the whole content. We are not sure yet, what is the problem behind it because I have never seen this with our own dialogs. But it could be related to yours.
You may also try to use another window manager or use a different style. Maybe you can send us a screenshot of such an empty table view. Is there an exception inside the KNIME log file?

Regards,

Thorsten

hi thorsten,
I tried resizing - won't help. Even maximizing does not reveal any data. I am using gnome 2.18.1. I could try with KDE. what do you mean by 'different style'? can I upload a screenshot from my filesystem to this forum? could you please tell me where I can find the logfiles and how they are named?
Mario.

maiworm wrote:
what do you mean by 'different style'?

Well, KDE and Gnome have different themes (or whatever they are called). You may give that a try.

maiworm wrote:
can I upload a screenshot from my filesystem to this forum?

Uhm, good question, but I don't think so. But maybe its easier if you just send me an email (Thorsten.Meinl@uni-konstanz.de).

maiworm wrote:
could you please tell me where I can find the logfiles and how they are named?

If you start KNIME, it tells you in the Console View where the log file is located. Usually it's something like "workspace/.metadata/knime/knime.log".

Quote:
Well, KDE and Gnome have different themes (or whatever they are called). You may give that a try.

yes, that's right. I can switch between different themes in gnome. that doesn't help. I tried that yesterday.

Quote:
If you start KNIME, it tells you in the Console View where the log file is located. Usually it's something like "workspace/.metadata/knime/knime.log".

Unfortunately, i got another problem right now. When I start KNIME, the 'KNIME encryption key' window appears. the cursor is blinking in the 'encryption key' textbox, but I cannot input anything! Nor can I 'cancel' or 'ok' the dialog. the Rserve()-console gives me a bunch of 'argument 'expr' is missing'- and 'variable 'R' was not found in: rm(R)'- errors. this happens everytime I start KNIME now, the only thing I can do to get out of it is kill the process. Have you ever experienced this? I think it should be related to the R-nodes in my project.
once I get KNIME running again, I will send you a screenshot and take a look into the startup-log.
What I can tell you is that I cannot find a .metadata-folder within the workspace-folder. I know the .metadata-folder from knime (I can see it in a windows-installation of knime) as well as from eclipse, but I cannot find it in my linux-knime (even having hidden files being visible).
mario.

Regarding the R problem, I have just tested this behavior under ubunto 7.1 and it works fine for me. I can enter an encryption key and the the dialog will be closed. Unfortunately, I have no idea what's going on in your installation, but I would be highly interested of knowing what's going on there. It seems, if the dialog does not gain the focus. Are there any system related properties on that? However, in 1.3 this dialog will only appear if the settings of an R node or Database node or any other node (with a password field) change. That means, the default behavior is simply wrong. Sorry for that. Last question, when you start KNIME with an empty workbench and drop a Database Reader node on the workbench, open the dialog and the press OK, are you then able to enter an encryption key?

gabriel,

Quote:
It seems, if the dialog does not gain the focus

well, I can click on it. I can click on the textbox for pw-input and the cursor will be blinking. I just cannot type in any password. btw: When I just hit 'enter', the reaction comes from a background window with a progress bar saying something like 'loading node x/y' (but the progress bar is stuck). so, to be precise, this background window (which appears at the same time as the 'encryption pw' dialog, but in the background) seems to have the focus. To be more precise, it is the 'cancel' button of this window.
Quote:
Are there any system related properties on that?

I don't think so. I use standard installation options, no fancy stuff, and I don't have a problem with wrong dialogs getting the focus or so.
Quote:
when you start KNIME with an empty workbench and drop a Database Reader node on the workbench, open the dialog and the press OK, are you then able to enter an encryption key?

I CANNOT START KNIME. this is my problem (at least the most salient one at the moment.) but wait. one of the last things I will try is the development version of KNIME. perhaps I can open it at least.
Mario.

Quote:
I CANNOT START KNIME. this is my problem (at least the most salient one at the moment.)

If you are not dependend on the already created workflows you may also delete the content of your runtime workspace (knime_dir/workspace by default). Then at least you should be able to start KNIME again - for the price that everything you did is lost, of course.

ok, just opened the developer version.
1. I open new project, create database reader, open its config-dialog, press 'ok'. =>'pw dialog' appears and I CAN input pw.
2. I create filereader, connect it with file, open config-dialog and click on 'Advanced...'. I get one empty box, make a screenshot "config_filereader" and send it to Thorsten Meinl.
3. I add an interactive table, connect the filereader to it, get the stuff executed and open the view of the Interactive table. This WORKS, I can see a table. Additionally, I open outport view of the filereader, this DOESN'T work. i make screenshot named "main_problem" and send it to Thorsten Meinl.
I maximize the empty outport view-box, make a screenshot named "maximized_main_problem" and send it to Thorsten Meinl.
4. I save the project, exit KNIME_develop, open KNIME_develop. ->no problem
5. i add R-node between filereader and interactive table, start Rserve(), open config of the R-node. ->KNIME encryption key dialog appears. I enter encryption PW, click ok, enter some R code, get all nodes executed, check ouput table of interactive table->no problem. check outport view of R Snippet->empty box. save project, exit KNIME_develop
6. Open KNIME_develop. Have to type in pw. Now I can type in pw (aha!). hmm.
Mario.

hey,
I just fixed it!!!
It was my Desktop effects. when I switch off CompizConfig I can see the outport views as well as the advanced settings of the filereader-node. I really should have thought about that earlier. however, i got no special desktop effects. It just has to do with compizconfig. when I switch it off and on again, I can still see the outport views, but only until I restart the computer. but ok, it's fixed now. thanks for your efforts!!
Mario.