Parallel version of Group Loop?

Hello,

I have used the Parallel Chunk Loop to replace basic loops with great success. I would liketo extend this to a scenario where I am performing a "Group Loop." However, the groups are not all of the same size, so I cannot use the parallel Chunk Loop nodes (which use a fixed chunk size). Is there an equivelant parallelized Group Loop node?

Thank you.

2 Likes

No we currently only have one parallel looping set of nodes. However extending them (and especially having a group version) is on our feature list. I keep you posted when there are any news.

As a workaround. Instead of looping over the table, loop over a list of the grouping columns values (unique) with the parallel loop start node. Than use inside a table row to variable loop start and filer the whole data table using the generated flow variable. This will give you the group part of your table.

I hope this helps,

Best, Iris

1 Like

Excellent idea Iris. I will give this a shot.

Thank you.

Hi Iris,

However extending them (and especially having a group version) is on our feature list. I keep you posted when there are any news.

Is there any news about a possible Parallel Group Chunk Loop?

I'm using your proposed workaround in a few workflows now, but it really turns out as a common pattern (particularly when used with the Image Processing extension), so it would be really useful to have such a node. It would save me a GroupBy and a Joiner node, would look much nicer, and would be easier to explain to others ;)

Cheers,

Jan

Hi KNIME team,

Iris wrote:

However extending them (and especially having a group version) is on our feature list.

Is the "group" version of a parallel loop still on your list of planned features?

1 Like

It would be nice to have one.

Hi there,

+1 has been added for request.

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

Hi @Iris
Is there any news about a possible Parallel Group Chunk Loop ?

Hi @malik

no nothing new to report, it is on our list :slight_smile:

Cheers, Iris

Hi @Iris
I have implemented the workaround solution and it works fine for me.

1 Like

+1 for this feature.

Request noted @HaveF. (Internal reference: AP-4817)
Ivan

1 Like

Hello Iris,

could you maybe share an example workflow with the required nodes/settings for your example? Unfortunately I cannot re-create your proposed workaround.

Best,
Dennis

Is there any progress on a Parallel Group Loop?

It’s been on the request list for seven years. As processing speeds gains on a single-core are limited and multi-core processors are increasingly prevalent, this is a much needed development.

+1 for this feature. Increasing speed and throughput by using the capabilities of modern computers is more important than the JavaScript UI.

DiaAzul
LinkedIn | Medium | GitHub

5 Likes

+1, even though the “workaround” is actually quite OK and hardly a burden IMHO.

-E