Pivoting with variables

Hi!
I’m having trouble configuring the Pivoting node to work with variables. Specifically, the column I want to group by will be selected via a user component. Perhaps this question is as simple as what setting to select.

I believe I’ve tried every setting and have received errors. The error is:
WARN Pivoting 3:138 No grouping column included. Aggregate complete table.

It’s not really clear where I should put my variable (string). When I place it in ExclList, I get the error “No grouping column included. Aggregate complete table.”

This is tricky because of the way most nodes handle these array-type settings. Firstly, you need in the ‘normal’ tabs to add the number of columns you want to control:

and

Then in the flow variables tab you should be able to expand and see an ‘array-size’ setting and then individual dropdowns for each array. For groups:

and for Pivots:

And there you can choose your pivot or group column name(s).

Steve

3 Likes

Thanks Steve. I admit I did not even try that because it doesn’t make logical sense to place a column in the Group tab when you know Group will be controlled by a variable. But – Just tested it with my Column Selection Configuration and it appears to work. Thank you!

3 Likes

No problem. It’s definitely a bit counter-intuitive, but basically you have to create one or more placeholders in array-types. I think the December release might be going to include more variable types and array variables, so hopefully that will make these simpler, although I would imagine there will be a period of transition

Steve

1 Like

Hi there,

never found this behavior so confusing. More limiting cause you can’t dynamically control those nodes…

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.