Problem with Wrapped Metanode layout engine in Ubuntu Linux

Hello Knimers,

After seeing the wonderful visualization possibilities of the wrapped metanodes at the Knime summit, I really wanted to try them out myself. Alas, the “Node usage and layout” window did not work in my Knime installation on Ubuntu Linux. I kept getting “Your system is using an outdated browser etc etc” error messages, even though I was working on a fully updated Ubuntu 18.04 system with Chromium installed.

It took me some time to figure out what was going on. I think the problem was that I reached Knime version 3.7.1 through updating from older versions. To make these older versions work properly, I installed “libwebkitgtk-1.0-0” and “libwebkitgtk-3.0-0” through apt-get, and added “launcher.GTK_version 2” to the knime.ini file. This was (and still is) recommended in the Knime FAQ.

As it turns out, you CANNOT have “libwebkitgtk-1.0-0” and “libwebkitgtk-3.0-0” installed on your system if you want the wrapped metanode layout engine to work, and you also cannot have the line “launcher.GTK_version 2” in your knime.ini.

Even if the proper recent libwebkitgtk is installed (I assume that is “libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37”), Knime gets confused by the presence of the older libwebkitgtks.

Anyway, best wishes & and thank you for organizing the wonderful Knime Summit!
Aswin

5 Likes

Dear Aswin,

Thank you very much for pointing out that issue and providing a solution! I forwarded the issue to our developers.
Glad to hear that you had a great time at the KNIME summit, we enjoyed you talk very much!

Best wishes from Berlin,
Jeany

1 Like