Problems with JPython Script nodes on Windows 64-bit

Dear All,

I have just installed the 64-bit version of KNIME on Windows7.  There seem to be some issues with the JPython Script nodes when importing other modules - eg import re, or import os.  I get the following sort of error in the log, whereas the same node executes fine under the 32-bit version of KNIME.  Also, the JPython nodes execute ok under 64-bit if extra modules aren't imported.  Any help/advice greatly appreciated:

2011-07-15 00:50:25,492 ERROR KNIME-Worker-1 JPython Script 1:1 : Execute failed: Jython error (see console for error log).
2011-07-15 00:50:25,492 DEBUG KNIME-Worker-1 JPython Script 1:1 : Execute failed: Jython error (see console for error log).
java.lang.Exception: Jython error (see console for error log).
    at org.knime.ext.jython.PythonScriptNodeModel.execute(PythonScriptNodeModel.java:256)
    at org.knime.core.node.NodeModel.execute(NodeModel.java:668)
    at org.knime.core.node.NodeModel.executeModel(NodeModel.java:524)
    at org.knime.core.node.Node.execute(Node.java:873)
    at org.knime.core.node.workflow.SingleNodeContainer.performExecuteNode(SingleNodeContainer.java:840)
    at org.knime.core.node.exec.LocalNodeExecutionJob.mainExecute(LocalNodeExecutionJob.java:100)
    at org.knime.core.node.workflow.NodeExecutionJob.run(NodeExecutionJob.java:166)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.knime.core.util.ThreadPool$MyFuture.run(ThreadPool.java:124)
    at org.knime.core.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:239)
Caused by: Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<>", line 25, in ?
ImportError: no module named re

at org.python.core.Py.ImportError(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.imp.import_first(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.imp.import_name(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.imp.importName(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.ImportFunction.load(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.ImportFunction.__call__(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.__builtin__.__import__(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.imp.importOne(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx0.f$0(<>:25)
    at org.python.pycode._pyx0.call_function(<>)
    at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.PyCode.call(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.core.Py.exec(Unknown Source)
    at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(Unknown Source)
    at org.knime.ext.jython.PythonScriptNodeModel.execute(PythonScriptNodeModel.java:251)
    ... 11 more

(Please ignore last post - I think the 'difference' between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions was that I was still using the deprecated SDF reader in the 32-bit version(oops!)

I think the new SDF reader defaults to not reading in the data fields (until you check the 'Extract All Properties' in the 'Property Handling' tab.  My JPython script was relying on these properties - which is why it was complaining.  All 'fixed' now! (I think...))

EDIT:

Actually - I think I spoke too soon (it is rather late/early!)  I found the JPython wasn't working on 32-bit either until I sorted out the properties (as shown in my original follow-up above).  However, making this change on the 64-bit version still gives the errors...  So once again I think there may be a problem in the JPython nodes on 64-bit Windows build...

Hi James --

Can you provide me with a short script (the shorter the better) that I can use to reproduce what you're seeing on your win7 64bit system?

Though it was certainly tested in multiple environments prior to release, I did not specifically test the latest updates to the JPython nodes on a win7 64bit system.  If there is a problem, I'd like to track it down.

Thanks in advance.

Hi James --

Digging around, I believe I have been able to reproduce what you are seeing.  I have found its root cause and a patch is forthcoming.

Apologies for the trouble -- once the patch is available, it would be great to hear if it solves your issues.

Hi potts,

Thanks for looking into this, and sorry I didnt post an example - I only just caught up with the forum!
I look forward to the patch, and will post back how things look afterwards.

Kind regards

James