Problems with optional parameters of Openbabel node

Hi KNIMErs,

I found a strange behavior while using Openbabel node that could represent a bug. I'm trying to convert an sdf molecule to a mol2 one using MMFF94 atomic charges. This type of charges is not the default one and to calculate it through the standalone Openbabel version the parameter “--partialcharge mmff94” must be added from the command line, after the input file specification.

In Openbabel KNIME node configuration window there is a field called “optional parameters” that in principle is designed exactly to pass non-default, optional parameters to Openbabel. As you can see in the attached workflow using the Openbabel KNIME node, neither if I use the bundled version nor the external version of Openbabel, I do not obtain the desired MMFF94 atom charges. Instead of those, the default “gasteiger” charges are calculated (as shown in the 5th row of the mol2 file).

Nevertheless if I run the external version of Openbabel from the External Tool (Labs) node I do obtain the desired MMFF94 charges.

Is this a bug? Maybe also this thread can be related with this problem. I'm using the last current version of "KNIME Base Chemistry Types & Nodes" (3.2.2.v201609201941)

Gio

Hello Gio,

Thank you for reporting this. We will have a look into it and report back to you.

Best,
Ferry

Perfect.

Thank you Ferry

This will be fixed in 3.3.2.

Very good Wiswedel, thank you to report this to this forum thread.