I would like to have access to the KNIME source code of nodes in order to tweak their functionality and immediately be able to test them. After downloading the KNIME Source features from the update.knime.org repository, how can I make them into a fully functional Eclipse Plug-in Project in my Eclipse Project Explorer?
For example, the "Create a new KNIME Node-Extension" does exactly what I am looking for, but provides me with only a sample project, not a project with the source of existing nodes.
I have struggled off and on for about a week trying to do this, and have found a way, but I don't think it's the right way to do it. What I've tried can be summed up below:
I have I installed the desired feature (Source for KNIME Perl Integration) to my target environment, and I could see the associated plug-in in the "Content" section of the current Target Platform.
However, I could not get the plug-in to appear in the "Import" -> "Plug-in Development" -> "Plug-ins and Fragments" wizard. I believe this is the main source of the issue.
Successful, but seems improper:
1. Using update.knime.org and my Eclipse -> Help -> "Install New Software", I installed the feature called "Source for KNIME Perl Integration".
2. I found the JAR that was somewhere inside this feature
3. I went through the wizard for "Create a new KNIME Node-Extension", and chose the class name and package name so that they matched the package and source of the JAR. This created a plug-in project with all the necessary things I needed.
4. I then used the Eclipse "Import" -> "Archive File" wizard to import the source found in the JAR file's "org" folder to step 3's project "src" folder
5. I made some tweaks to the configuration file (e.g. changed the activator from the default "NodePlugin" class to the correct class).
6. I was then able to use the node as if it was the example code from the "Create a new KNIME Node-Extension" wizard.