Quickform webpage with selection based content

Is it possible to show via quickforms on a server webpage the content based on a selection that is done on this same page?
What I want to do is select something from a list, then use that to fill a second list and select from that, and then show plots based on both selections.
This is possible by making separate wrapped metanodes for each selection action and final plots. But then I have have to go from one page to the next.

Thanks in advance, Patrick

1 Like

Dear @pfpmeijers,

unfortunately this works only page by page at the moment. However, this would be a nice addition to the WebPortal functionality. I’ll add a +1 to the feature request.

Cheers,
Marten

1 Like

This WebPortal functionality, is that also open source, with possible contributions from the “community”?

Hi @pfpmeijers

no the webportal is part of our commercial offerings.
Thats why it is also not open source.

Best wishes, Iris

Hum, pitty. Could be a showstopper if our UX developers define this is mandatory requirement.

Hi @pfpmeijers,

while the WebPortal is not open source, you can still develop nodes that will work on it. If you would like to have your own set of JavaScript based views, that can interact with one another via a mechanism that you also provide, that should be possible.
Depending on your exact requirements it would also be possible to display two or more components within the same JavaScript view. Then the interaction is just within the view’s logic. If that is the case then you might be able to just use the Generic JavaScript view node to achieve what you were describing. In particular you can trigger our selection events from this node as well.

If I understand your use case correctly there might also be a way to simply use our existing nodes, if you are using filters instead of selections (or a combination of both). With the next release of the Analytics Platform (which is scheduled for next week) we are including a new Value Filter node, which can filter based on nominal values (in addition to the Slider Filter which filters numerical features). If you combine that with a table view and your plots maybe you can already fulfil this use case.

Best regards,
Christian

1 Like

Is such a filter node then directly changing the chained output and thus next node when changing the items to include/exclude in this filter, before pressing the apply button?

An interactive filter node can directly change the visibility of another chained view, which supports filtering, e.g. the JavaScript scatter plot or table view.
You can try this out in the current version of the analytics platform by using the ‘Range Slider Filter Definition’ node. Place a JavaScript scatter plot in the workflow behind it and put both nodes in a wrapped metanode. The dialog of the scatter plot has a tab ‘View Controls’ under which you can find the ‘Subscribe to filter events’ option. If set up correctly this will now read ‘1 filter available’. Then open the view on that wrapped metanode.

For this to work it is important that the node reacting to filter events needs to have the column that the filter was applied on at an input port.
If you check the output of the filter node you will see that the data was not changed, only a filter definition was applied to the appropriate column in the table spec. A node reacting to filter events needs to ‘see’ this definition.

After changing a filter in a view the new values are preserved in the filter definition. If you actually want to filter a table in the workflow you can use the Filter Apply node for that.

Ok thanks, I will wait for new release and will then check what is possible.

1 Like