Re-use meta nodes with specific task

Hi,

I am wondering, if I have a task in a workflow in a meta node and I like to reuse this task more often in other workflows. is it then possible to store this task as a separate meta node in the node library and other users can access this meta node in their workflows?
Or is there an other solutions for this

Thanks,

Ron

Hi @RonG,

you are pretty close with your guess. In KNIME they are called “Wrapped Metanode templates”. You can’t store them in the node repository, but you can store them on in your explorer. They also auto-update when you open the workflow.

You create them by right clicking on a wrapped metanode > Wrapped metanode > Save as template. Now you can drag that file into new workflows.
Here is a blogpost which also explains how to update them.

Cheers,
Johannes

2 Likes

Hi Johannes,

thanks for the response

I’ll give it a try

Cheers,

Ron

Hi Johannes,

Still have a question
I have made a Wrapped meta Node image
In this node is the wrapped input, output and the meta node. image
In the meta node are these nodes

My question is, how can I connect the Wrapped input node and wrapped output node with the meta node. So that I get input and output ports? Tried to make connections but this failed.

Thanks,

Ron

Hi @RonG,

right-click on the wrapped metanode > Wrapped Metanode > Setup. Here you can add input and output ports to it which will show up in WrappedNode Input and WrappedNode Output. You need 1 data inport and 1 data outport.
Cheers,
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

the problem was that I already made a temp[late of it and then you can’t add the input or output ports.

Thanks,

Ron

Hi @RonG,

then you have to detach the template, change it and make a template and overwrite the old template. That is also described in the blogpost I posted earlier.
Cheers,
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

thanks,

this works fine

Cheers,

Ron

Hi Johannes,

sorry but have an other question regarding the wrapped metanode.

How can I add the description below the wrapped meta node or the template. To tell what is expected at input port and output port.
Where can I do this.
I can add a node description below a metanode, but when I change this to a wrapped metanode this description is lost

thanks again

Ron

Hi RonG,

no problem. If you click on the blank area below a wrapped metanode, you can enter the text just there.

Just FYI: You don’t need to wrap a regular meta node in a wrapped metanode. It is enough if you just choose “encapsulate in wrapped metanode” on your selected nodes.
Cheers,
Johannes

1 Like

Hi Johannes,

Thanks again. Feel me really stupid that I didnot find this textbox below the Wrapped meta node. Tried to click inside the square around the wrapped metanode and also tried to name the wrapped input and output node, but when I returned to the wrapped metanode the description was lost.

Thanks again,

Ron