"Send Email" node and Gmail accounts

Hi,

Anybody who knows how to send email through Knime using Gmail accounts?

I configured all the necessary fields as stated in Gmail support pages; even turned on the option to allow using "less secure" applications to send email.

But always getting the same error: Execute failed: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response; nested exception is:java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

1 Like

Do you have to authenticate the application with google?

1 Like

Just tried and worked for me!

2 Likes

Just tried the Gmail email sending, after several trials, what worked:

1. Enable less secure app access in your Google Account (https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps)
  2. Use 465 as SMTP port, with connection security set to SSL, connection timeout set to 3,000ms.
  3. Make sure you are sending to a valid email.
3 Likes

Hi,

I have set send email node with my gmail account as configured .
smtp.gmail.com and security set to SSL as 465.
I have used it almost for 2 months. but today it does not work.
I got error like

ERROR Send Email 0:121:95 Execute failed: Error while communicating with the smtp server: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465;
nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

I changed connection time and tried. but it didnot work.
do you have any alternative method?

thx

Hi there @hadi,

maybe Google something changed when it is suddenly not working? Or a temporary bug? When was the last time it was working? Alternative would be to try utilize Python integration within KNIME but Send Email seems like the one to use…

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Dear Ivan,
3th of March my workflow worked correctly last time.

regards
Hadi

Hi there @hadi,

have you done any update since? Can you tell me which version are you using? Version 4.1.2. was released on 5th of March but don’t see anything in a changelog regarding Send Email node or any other indication that could cause it…

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Dear Ivan,

my version is 4.1.2.
yesterday I was at the office and can not work my workflow.(can not use Send email node)
today I am working home office and workflow worked.

maybe company IT security did not allow to reach SMTP server.
So I am out of office and cannot discuss with IT .
thx

1 Like

Hi @hadi,

Might be the case if it works from another location. Check it out and if any questions leave a message and we’ll check it out.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Same for me. I wonder whether Knime is secure.

I talked to Google and since it is not in their trusted counterparties list they would not recommend to set the option to … enable less secure app access.

Hi, there seems to be a problem with enable the “less secure apps” in google. could you at Knime not get a higher level of security with the node / app ?

Hi @Charlie20,

this makes sense and is planned for future.

In the meantime don’t think you should have any concerns about enabling KNIME Analytics Platform access. Maybe this helps: Data security concerns

Br,
Ivan