Shutdown problem

Hi @Christian_Essen,

Do you get this problem on a “fresh” Installation of Knime?
(does the problem still accure if you re-install knime?)
Is this the newest Knime Version?
What operating system are you using? (Windows10?)
Did you change anything on the knime.ini?
Is this the knime installer or zip version?
Did you install some extensions?
Can you try to start knime with the -clean command (adding -clean to the knime.ini located in the installation folder)
grafik

2 Likes

@AnotherFraudUser : Thank you very much for the support!
(The installation of KNIME was not “fresh” and I use the latest version and Windows 10. In knime.ini I only set the memory to 8 GB and I used the installer. Yes, I had installed some extensions. “Clean-command-start” has made no difference.)

I have now reinstalled the programme and disabled Nodepit. I still get the following error message in duplicate:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_252
java.vendor=AdoptOpenJDK
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core
Error
Wed May 05 15:12:01 CEST 2021
Exception during event notification

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location must be absolute: …
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.checkValidLocation(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:756)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.contains(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:252)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.addRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:167)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.notify(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:825)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:103)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.core.ProvisioningEventBus.dispatchEvent(ProvisioningEventBus.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345)

Any idea?

Many thanks,
Christian

1 Like

Hello @Christian_Essen,

KNIME closes unexpectedly while workflow execution or while configuring nodes? And is String Manipulation or Column Expressions node executing/configuring when this occurs? Is there any chance you can share workflow example? Dummy data works just fine.

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the quick answer @ipazin .

KNIME closes unexpectedly when I configure nodes e.g., String Manipulation or Column Expressions, but also for example by configuring Sorter or GroupBy node.
In addition to the error messages at start-up (see above), I also receive an error log in Program Files/KNIME. At the beginning it reads as follows:

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ffe6f0244e2, pid=5092, tid=0x0000000000002ee0

JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_252-b09) (build 1.8.0_252-b09)
Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (25.252-b09 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
Problematic frame:
C 0x00007ffe6f0244e2

Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

Completely it looks like this:hs_err_pid5092.log (135.1 KB)

Many thanks in advance,
Christian :slight_smile:

PS: I have tried to provide the workflow with (reduced) dummy files. But whenever I select the Input location “Relative to” and “Current workflow” in the Excel Reader node, I get an error message with “Illegal char :> at index …”
(No spaces within filename.)

@ipazin : I’m afraid I must apologise for my stupidity - I have now finally managed to select the Excel file relative to the workflow :sweat_smile:.
Below is the workflow with dummy-data,which regularly aborts when I try to configure node 223 (GroupBy) or node 226 (Maths Formula MC).
(KNIME still starts with the above error messages.)
ScrapingAggregationDummy.knwf (160.8 KB)

Hello @Christian_Essen,

all fine. No need for apology. Glad you managed it :wink: Although if you want to include data with your workflow (so workflow can be in state reset and others can run it) you need to copy data into data folder within workflow directory and use Current workflow data area option.

Regarding your shutdown issues. Is it only with this one workflow or you experienced this in multiple workflows?

Br,
Ivan

5 Likes

Hi @ipazin,

As far as I can see, this only happens with this workflow. However, this is also my most extensive workflow in terms of data preparation. It would be really great if I could find a solution, because I can’t continue working with KNIME at the moment.
You can find the workflow (incl. data) in the knar-attachment. I have addressed the data files via “relative to” “workflow”.
(Unfortunately, I cannot address the data via “relative to” “workflow data area”. It would be great if you could tell me the correct path - although I have already tried out many possibilities. But if I understand correctly, both methods are equivalent in their effect.)

ScrapingDummy.knar (198.6 KB)

Thank you again for your support! :slight_smile:
Christian

Hello @Christian_Essen,

you are right, both methods have same effect so all fine there. (And even first shared workflow is executable as Excel Reader nodes weren’t reset). Bad news is I couldn’t reproduce so let’s see if someone else can help.

To address data via “relative to” “workflow data area” you have to add files to data folder within workflow directory. See picture:

DataFolder

As said above workflow is executable so no need to share more workflows :wink:

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Hello @ipazin,

It’s a pity that you can’t help with the shutdown problem, but thank you very much for your great support! :+1: :slight_smile:
Thanks to your last explanation and screenshots, I finally understood the procedure regarding the workflow data area :sweat_smile:.

Best regards
Christian

1 Like

Any help in this matter is highly appreciated :point_up::sweat_smile:.

Hello @Christian_Essen,

couple of more questions to try to figure it out:

• does it happen every time or sporadically?
  • does it happen with any data set, including one you shared here as well?
  • if you are only rounding in Math Formula (Multi Column) nodes can you try replacing them with Round Double node(s) to see if it makes any difference?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hello @ipazin,

Thank you for trying to find a solution again :slight_smile:.

Here’s how it is:

• On my desktop PC, I always get the same error message (even after reinstalling) when I start KNIME: Error log at start.log (190.3 KB)
  • Any workflow where I use Column Expressions or Math Formula (Multi Column) – and possibly other nodes I haven’t tried – causes KNIME to crash as soon as I try to configure these nodes: Error log at unexpected shutdown.log (133.7 KB)
  • On my notebook, the workflow runs without problems and I don’t get any error messages when starting KNIME.

Therefore, I think that the problem is to be found in the error message when starting KNIME. Do you have any ideas? Or anyone at KNIME I can contact?

Many thanks and best regards
Christian

Hello @Christian_Essen,

then no wonder I haven’t managed to reproduce it as it seems related to your desktop PC. Do you maybe have aggressive antivirus program? Or docking station with multiple monitors? Or anything else specific?

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hello @ipazin,

I don’t use a special antivirus programme, but Windows Defender. I have two monitors, but no docking station. It’s my work computer at the university. The only special thing about it, I would say, is that it is on the university network. Otherwise, it’s just a normal Windows 10 PC. And until recently, I had no problems at all with KNIME.

Best regards,
Christian :slight_smile:

Hello @Christian_Essen,

a while ago did issues when using multiple monitors. Can you try with only one monitor or different display settings?

See here:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hello @ipazin ,

So I don’t know what’s going on: For a good week now I haven’t had any crashes, no matter what nodes I’m working with. (I’m working on my desktop PC with two screens). On my notebook, I had also been working with two screens, i.e. an external screen in addition.
However, I still get the error message when I start KNIME on my desktop PC. (I also get this when I have only one screen connected.)

Still error log at start.log (267.8 KB)

Looks like all’s well that ends well, but I’m still confused by the error message, which is cryptic to me. Do you have any ideas in this regard?

Best regards and thanks for your support,
Christian

2 Likes

Hello @Christian_Essen,

glad everything is running fine. Let’s dive into it more if crashing starts again.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

That sounds reasonable :sweat_smile: :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.