Simple File Reader is great, but needs column type override

Really like the new Simple File Reader. However, it does not, from what I can tell, allow you to override column types. If it had this feature it would be perfect. With very large files that have weird mixes of data in columns, it is very helpful to just set the type and not try to have it scan the whole file to figure out that yes, indeed a particular column is a decimal, not an integer.

I don’t think this would have a negative impact on speed, but of course there may be some reason why this capability was left out to make it a “Simple” File Reader.

Thank you, again. Performance is very good on this node.

3 Likes

Hello @txjmb,

I especially like intuitive and simple name this new node liked by many holds :slight_smile:

Seems you are right as it does not feature column type change which might be useful and probably shouldn’t affect time execution (but don’t know that for a fact).

Ticket created (Internal reference: AP-15369). In case of any progress someone will update this topic.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Thx for the feedback and indeed we will ship this functionality with 4.3 if nothing unexpected happens.

Best,
Mark

5 Likes

Hello @txjmb,

as @Mark_Ortmann said this and couple of more functionalities are now part of Simple File Reader from version 4.3.0.

See release highlights here:

EDIT: Seems node still doesn’t feature this kind of column type override but just heard on KNIME Webinar that it’s on the road map.

Br,
Ivan

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.