Storage location of preferences

I am wondering where KNIME stores its preferences, and especially proxy server settings (user credentials).

Background: I have multiple KNIME versions installed (or at least unpacked) on my computer (Windows). And somehow certain settings (esp. proxy configuration) seem to interfer between these different instances. I am trying to understand where the settings are stored and if this is possbile.

Would be happy if someone could comment on this. Thx

Hi,
I am currently trying to find out the exact place of the preferences, but what I can tell you already that they are stored in the workspace. So if you share that among multiple KNIME installations, the proxy settings might interfere. Otherwise this should not be possible.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Hi,
@Marten_Pfannenschmidt found it for me :wink: The settings are in .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings in your workspace.
Kind regards,
Alexander

3 Likes

Thanks @AlexanderFillbrunn for your investigations.
Unfortunately, I can’t confirm it this way. I still haven’t found the place where the proxy settings are stored.

You see, this is my proxy setup:

And it is stored persistently. The settings are still there when I restart KNIME :wink:

However, I searched through the contents of all files in WORKSPACE/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings
and even through all files in the folder .metadata, but I can’t find the proxy or my user name anywhere in these files.
Are you sure that these settings are not stored in some central Windows location? (I hope it’s not the registry or anything…?)

Hi,
It seems that the proxy settings are stored in a secure storage. The location of that can be found under Preferences -> General -> Security -> Secure Storage -> Contents according to here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/110088/.
Kind regards,
Alexander

2 Likes

Ah thanks!
So, by default, these settings are indeed shared between different KNIME instances because the secure storage location is (at least in my case) in the user’s directory.

1 Like

Hi,
you are right, that makes sense! With this knowledge it should be easy to separate this among KNIME version.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Update:
Proxy settings (except credentials) are stored in:

KNIME_folder/configuration/.settings/org.eclipse.core.net.prefs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.