String to Document crashes

I get this error every time until I fiddle a bit in the config of the node:

WARN  Strings To Document  3:38:31    Serialization error: Document could not be serialized!
ERROR Strings To Document  3:38:31    Could not store document in cell: 
ERROR Strings To Document  3:38:31    Execute failed: Cell at index 0 is null!

What am I doing wrong?

Hi @alkopop79,

sorry for the late response. Can you provide an example that reproduces the issue? If not, the full stack trace woule be really helpful here. You can adjust the log level in File->Preferences->KNIME->KNIME GUI. If you set the log level to info or debug the stack trace will be shown in the console. Alternatively the stack trace should be in the knim.log file. You can find that file in your knime workspace directory/.metadata/knime/knime.log

Cheers,
Marten

I’m seeing the same problem. In the log I see this:

2019-05-07 19:25:34,032 : DEBUG : KNIME-Worker-7 : DocumentBufferedFileStoreDataCellFactory : Strings To Document : 0:28 : Could not store document in cell: ESB-2017.1878 - [RedHat] X.org X11: Multiple vulnerabilities
java.io.UTFDataFormatException: encoded string too long: 71703 bytes
at java.io.DataOutputStream.writeUTF(DataOutputStream.java:364)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.writeUTF(DataOutputStream.java:323)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.util.TermDocumentDeSerializationUtil.fastSerializeDocument(TermDocumentDeSerializationUtil.java:606)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.data.filestore.AbstractDocumentFileStoreCell.serializeDocument(AbstractDocumentFileStoreCell.java:293)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.data.filestore.BufferedFileStoreWriter.write(BufferedFileStoreWriter.java:96)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.data.filestore.DocumentBufferedFileStoreCell.(DocumentBufferedFileStoreCell.java:129)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.data.filestore.DocumentBufferedFileStoreDataCellFactory.createDataCell(DocumentBufferedFileStoreDataCellFactory.java:149)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.util.LRUDataCellCache.getInstance(LRUDataCellCache.java:120)
at org.knime.ext.textprocessing.nodes.transformation.stringstodocument.StringsToDocumentCellFactory2.getCells(StringsToDocumentCellFactory2.java:236)
at org.knime.core.data.container.RearrangeColumnsTable.calcNewCellsForRow(RearrangeColumnsTable.java:494)
at org.knime.core.data.container.RearrangeColumnsTable$ConcurrentNewColCalculator.compute(RearrangeColumnsTable.java:722)
at org.knime.core.data.container.RearrangeColumnsTable$ConcurrentNewColCalculator.compute(RearrangeColumnsTable.java:1)
at org.knime.core.util.MultiThreadWorker$ComputationTask$1.call(MultiThreadWorker.java:442)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at org.knime.core.util.ThreadUtils$RunnableWithContextImpl.runWithContext(ThreadUtils.java:328)
at org.knime.core.util.ThreadUtils$RunnableWithContext.run(ThreadUtils.java:204)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at org.knime.core.util.ThreadPool$MyFuture.run(ThreadPool.java:123)
at org.knime.core.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:246)
2019-05-07 19:25:34,034 : DEBUG : KNIME-Worker-3 : LRUDataCellCache : Strings To Document : 0:28 : Closing lru data cell cache.
2019-05-07 19:25:34,034 : DEBUG : KNIME-Worker-3 : Node : Strings To Document : 0:28 : reset
2019-05-07 19:25:34,034 : ERROR : KNIME-Worker-3 : Node : Strings To Document : 0:28 : Execute failed: Cell at index 0 is null!
2019-05-07 19:25:34,035 : DEBUG : KNIME-Worker-3 : Node : Strings To Document : 0:28 : Execute failed: Cell at index 0 is null!

And the size of the document it is crashing on looks like around the 71703 bytes mentioned in the log.

I also found that it ‘went away’ after I fiddled with the Config dialog. I unchecked some of the default options and changed the parser selection so it could have been any of them.

Any ideas?

Edit: The problem seems to be the ‘Use authors from column’ setting. This is enabled by default and is, in my case, set to the ‘Full text’ column. Toggling the check box toggles the problem.

1 Like