Table Creator copy-paste problem

Dear Knimers,

Somehow manually copy-pasting values within and especially between Table Creator nodes is a very frustrating process that often goes wrong and requires multiple attempts… It seems as if there is a problem with the communication with the clipboard… Ubuntu 18.04, Knime 4.2.0

Best
Aswin

Hi Aswin,

what exactly goes wrong here? Do you have an example?

Dear @Marten_Pfannenschmidt,

Two table creator nodes…
Config window first table creator node:

Let’s select the the elements and press CTRL-C:

Now we open the second Table Creator config window:

…and try to paste the values from the first table creator to the second row by selecting its first cell:

Press CTRL-V… nothing

Click first cell again, CTRL-V… nothing, but the highlighted cell moves:

Click first cell again, CTRL-V again… finally the desired result:

Mind you, even this does not seem fully reproducible.

Best,
Aswin

Some additional info:

Tried to do CTRL-C on the first Table Creator node and then CTRL-V into a text editor (standard Ubuntu gedit). It seems to always fail at the first attempt and then succeed at the second attempt.

Copy-pasting from the text editor into the Table Creator follows the pattern of my previous post.

Dear Aswin,

thanks a lot for pointing out this issue. In particular, thanks for the detailed example.

This seems to be related to an already known issue. To confirm (and as a sort-of workaround), you can try the following:

1. Create two table creator nodes like in your example.
  2. Open the dialog of a table creator node and select a cell by clicking on it.
  3. Again, click on any cell, or alternatively, select the range of cells to be copied by drag & drop.
  4. Copy and paste the cell contents into a text editor or another table.

The values should then be properly copied/pasted. Is this the case for you?

Likewise, when pasting into a table view, click on any cell, then again click on a cell to mark it as the paste target, then do Ctrl-V to paste. The values should then appear properly.

However, this does not explain your observation that the highlighted cell moves but no values are pasted. Can you reproduce this using one extra click as illustrated above? Maybe you just had an “empty” selection, i.e. one containing only tabs (\t).

Best Regards,
Ben

3 Likes

Dear @BenjaminMoser,

The values should then be properly copied/pasted. Is this the case for you?

Yes, but indeed I had to click twice in the destination table to make pasting work.

However, this does not explain your observation that the highlighted cell moves but no values are pasted. Can you reproduce this using one extra click as illustrated above?

I can reproduce the only-moving-when-pasting when I perform the following actions:

• start fresh KNIME with empty clipboard
  • load workflow with 2 table creators containing “1 2 3” and “4 5 6”
  • open config of first table creator
  • click on any cell
  • then select the range and press CTRL-C
  • press “cancel” to close the config window
  • open destination Table Creator config window
  • click on any cell
  • close the config window by clicking on “cancel”
  • open the same config window AGAIN
  • click 1 time on first cell of destination range
  • CTRL-V (nothing happens)
  • click again 1 time on first cell of destination range
  • CTRL-V; nothing gets pasted but highlighted cell moves to the end of the range
  • click again 1 time on first cell of destination range
  • CTRL-V; desired values are pasted

I noticed that the border of the highlighted cell can have 3 different shades (no border, grey border, thick black border), It seems that only when the border is thick black the values get pasted properly. (cannot show it because the grey border form disappears whenever I try to take a screenshot)

Best
Aswin

Hi @Aswin,

The first issue then is indeed already known, thanks for confirming.

Regarding the issue with pasting: Thanks for figuring out the steps. I can reproduce this aswell. This feels to me like a seperate issue. I have created a ticket and I’ll let you know when there is any news on this.

Best Regards,
Ben

2 Likes

Dear @Aswin,

The “2-click issue” we had talked about is resolved and a fix will appear in the next major update (version 4.3).

The copy/paste issue is still open and sadly I cannot give an estimate right now. I’ll post here when there’s any update on this.

Best Regards,
Ben

5 Likes

Hi,

Version 4.3 has been released and with it a fix for the “2-click issue” in node dialogs.

Best Regards,
Ben

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.