Tess4J OCR returns only empty strings

OK, something FUBARed.... I have no image processing packages or features installed, and yet I get to see and use the nodes. Guess I'll try a clean install and start over.

E

Hum, this is weird. The first exception I think I do understand, ... I think and we can fix this. This may happen if you just install Tess4J but not the complete KNIME Image Processing bundle.

The second/third issue may be a result from the first issue (first installing Tess4J then KNIME Image Processing) which is certainly a problem on our side which I have to fix next week.

The clean install, then a installation of KNIME Image Processing (trusted) + Tess4J from the trunk. Then it should be working. If not, then I will investigate further.

Again, sorry for the inconveniences. We will fix the installation issues asap.

Christian

Hi Christian,

No biggie, that's the way you get things fixed. :-)

Just to confirm: I tried a clean install - KNIME 2.9.4 x64 from self-extractor, full install of update site & restart, then full install of KNIP from trunk & restart. Result: same exceptions thrown upon opening the demo flow, same nodes missing (all KNIP nodes but the image reader), etc.

So indeed, please check your end and let me know when/what to try next.

TY,
E

Hi,

ok, after some hours of investigation I can report the following:

* I can't reproduce the problem with missing nodes. Installing KNIME 2.9.4 on Win64 bit and then installing KNIME Image Processing + Tess4J works just fine. The nodes of the workflow are there (all).

Maybe you can post the complete KNIME log from start-up until everything is loaded (or not loaded) see: Views -> KNIME Log. I'm really puzzled at the moment.

* I can't load the gif files as you reported with the current Image Reader of the nightly build. This seems to be a bug in SCIFIO (the library we use to load images). I reported the issue and I'm sure they will help us quickly.

I will keep you updated.

Christian

Christian,

Thanks for the effort so far! Log will come in tonight latest, let's take it from, there.

Thanks
E

Christian,

Sent you a log extract by e-mail to avoid clearing machine info, etc. Standing by for further instructions, strangely enough I can reproduce my errors.  Did you check my knime.ini modification (-Djava.library.path=C:\R-3.1.0\library\rJava\jri\x64), or is it clearly unrelated?

Thx,
E

Hi,

thanks for your e-mail. I think I found the problem(s).

a) You have installed the VTK 3D Viewer and this is really killing the Image Processing extension. The VTK unfortunately is deprecated (but still in the nightly build). Could you try to uninstall this extension and see if the KNIME Image Processing Nodes show up again?

b.) The gif loading should also work as expected (thanks to Mark Hiner from Scifio). I will rebuild our nightly build, so you can test it in approx. 1h or so.

c.) -Djava.library.path=c:\ etc shouldn't actually have an effect. We actually extend the library path, but we don't rely on an existing one.

Can you check if Tess4J works after a/b?

Thanks again,

Christian

One more update: I managed to fix the error in the VTK plugin, so a simple update on the nightly build should work and you will see the KNIME Image Processing Nodes again (I hope).

Christian,

Sorry, but I got totally swamped in the meantime. I'll try tonight and report back.

Thanks
E

Hi Christian,

Finally I can confirm that this works as expected! Sorry for taking so long, but as of late I've had a lot of "serious" KNIME work to do both at work and at hom (don't ask :)), so experimentation had to wait a bit.

Many thanks for the help! I'll now see to making image processing gradually become part of my repertoire. :-)

Cheers,
E

Great! Thanks! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Christian

Thanks, happy to do so. Having said that, please make sure to push your fix to 2.10's trusted/stable release packages - would like this to work out of the box. :-)

TY,
E

Hello Christian,
Is a functional capability yet with PDF to Images for OCR?
Best,
Mike

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.