I have created several Workflows running without Problems in Version 3.5.3. Because of Problems with my OS at home (Windows 10) I started my System again reloading an Image, which contains KNIME Version 3.5.1. After updating to V3.7.0 using the update functionality loading my workflows causes following error message:
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: Method com/pervasive/datarush/knime/core/framework/internal/PortObjectPeers$PhysicalRecordPortObjectPeer.putIntoTableRepository(Lorg/knime/core/node/workflow/WorkflowDataRepository;)V is Abstract
How can I fix this Problem?? It’s very important because I use the workflows in work, too (KNIME V3.5.1)
Thanks for helping!!
Did you update using the update mechanism that is inside KNIME (i.e did you run KNIME and update from within KNIME) or did you download the 3.7.0 installer / ZIP?
If not the latter, could you try doing the latter?
Thanks for your response. I did the first: running KNIME and updating directly from the side “Welcome to KNIME Analytics Platform”!
I will follow your hint and try to install again with 3.7.0 installer/zip. You’ll hear from me after that!
Did a reinstallation of KNIME 3.7.0 using the installer. Then the WF could be started but adding “Actian Dataflow” (I use Remove Duplicates Node) the same failure appears.
Doing a reinstallation with KNIME 3.6.0 I can add “Actian Dataflow” and the WF runs without Problems!
I now face the same issue
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/mw/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/mw/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Mon Apr 08 15:52:20 CEST 2019
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: Method com/pervasive/datarush/knime/core/framework/internal/PortObjectPeers$PhysicalRecordPortObjectPeer.putIntoTableRepository(Lorg/knime/core/node/workflow/WorkflowDataRepository;)V is abstract
Update: There was a release update to 6.6.1-17 (from 6.6.0-18) you can download from https://esd.actian.com/product/Actian_DataFlow
Unfortunately the issue still persists. I uninstalled Actian DataFlow, opened the workflow and confirmed to NOT search for the missing node which was “Random Sample”. That allowed me to work with the workflow again.