Update Strategy Knime Server from 4.10 to 4.11

Hello

we intend to update the Knime Server Version on one Server from
4.10.2 to 4.11.4
so both of our servers have the same versions :4.11.4

There are eventually two options :

1. Deinstall knime-server and knime-executor service , delete the knime-install directory.
    → Saving existing Workflows previously and reimport them. ->how can this be done?
    The standard installation procedure could be executed without any problems.

2. Some magical button/ procedure ;after that the installtion and the two services are updated.

Greetings B.Kochs

1 Like

Dear B. Kochs,

if you set up a new installation (you can also install this in a separate folder, so that you can change back easily, if something goes wrong), you can copy the workflows and schedules.
They are located in the server’s workflow_repository/workflows.
If you wish to keep existing schedules, you will also need to copy the value of secretKey that is located in the server’s apache-<tomcat or tomee>/conf/Catalina/localhost/knime.xml file.

In case you would like to update the existing server, we have an update guide here: KNIME Server Release Notes and Update Guide.

A few notes though:

• You may want to consider installing a more recent version. 4.13.2 is current and 4.13.3 is to be released soon (works with KNIME Analytics Platform 4.4 or lower). See also 4.12 features, 4.13 features.
  • We only offer a 4.11.5 installer. The last version digit only includes bug fixes, so that we really don’t suggest using a lower version there.

If you’d like, you can also reach out to support@knime.com. We would be happy to accompany you during an update.

Kind regards
Marvin

4 Likes

Hello Marvin and all

on our Knime Testsystem I installed and configured 4.13.2 last year, the prior version 4.10.2 still exists and I am able to switch between them by disabling knime-executor and the knime-server Service and launching the executable for 4.10.2.
By configuring the old Workflow path to use with 4.13.2 these Workflows were not executable.
The only way for me to run the Test-Workflows in Knime 4.13.2 was launching Knime 4.10.2 and exporting them with ‘KNIME Analytics Platform’ localy and reimporting them in Knime 4.13.2.

Now 4.13.2 is running fine, the Test-Workflows execute without error, the Oracle Connection works.

We intend to install Knime 4.13.2 on our Production System on March 1st.
Our Financial department takes the responsability for backup an install of their workflows, and it should not be my concern to take care of migrating them.
Even though I would like to know how to get the old workflows working without exporting and importing them .

Greetings B.Kochs

Hi @b_kochs,

First: I would recommend to install one of the current versions of KNIME Server, either 4.13.5 or 4.14.1 to have the latest bugfixes included.

I would recommend to install the new version in parallel to your existing installation, replace the new generated secret_key of the <apache_folder>/conf/Catalina/localhost/knime.xml with the productive one and copy the old <workflow_repository>/workflows over to the new location. This will keep all of your workflows as well as the schedules.

If you want to keep the local defined KNIME Server users (not LDAP) you need to copy the <apache_folder>/conf/userconf.mv.db as well.

Further config file merges are needed if you have a more complex setup including LDAP or Oauth for instance.

Please refer to our update guide for further information: KNIME Server Release Notes and Update Guide

Best,
Michael