using flow variables directly within node's configuration textfields

Hi,
I am new to Knime (but farely experienced using Pipeline Pilot) and I am wondering if there is a way to just concatenate a String and a variable “on the fly”, in order to configure a node.
For exemple, I want to send REST queries, with a fixed $${baseURL}$$ and the right suffix.
I don’t want to need the “String manipulator” to do the concatenation, I would like to type in directly in the URL field:
$${baseURL}$$/My_Action?key=value

Is that something I missed or is it clearly not possible?
Thanks.

Hi there @diyoyo,

you haven’t missed anything. This is not possible. Flow variable needs to be defined prior node in which is supposed to be used. Way additional node is unwanted?

Br,
Ivan

Hi, $$baseURL$$ is declared before, but the new string $$baseURL$$/My_Action?key=value is not.
It’s not that it is unwanted, it is just that it makes the workflow heavy, adding very simple nodes for nothing.
My example was about $$baseURL$$, but many times it is more about some data that comes out of a rest call. For example, I perform a GET, then I get a UUID, which I need to parse from the JSON. Then I need to extract this data and put it as a flow variable, and then I need to build the new REST url, by including $$baseURL$$ and this new UUID.

If inline concatenation were possible, I could just link the data out of the JSON Path node to the GET node, and have my new GET’s URL be declared like this : $${baseURL}$$/myquery/$UUID$/?args

Hi there @diyoyo,

tnx for additional explanation. Still it is only node one extra node (String Manipulation (Variable)) but agree this would be a nice feature. Especially for some nodes. Will forward it and let’s see!

EDIT: Feature request created (internal reference: AP-13988)

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.