Which MacBook Pro?

Hi all -

Relatively new user here. My work computer is having a difficult time working with KNIME, I've updated the .ini file and still get javaheap errors and the computer even shuts down sometimes when running some nodes.  I'm looking at getting a MacBook Pro and was wondering if anyone could advise on which how much power i need to run KNIME smoothly.

The base model is

• 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 4GB 1600MHz memory
  • 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1

The next model up is an additional $300:

• 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1

Is the 2.9 GHz model definite overkill? If not, i'll probably go that way.  I just don't want to spend the extra $ is there's little/no benefit.  My application is marketing. Thanks!

I'm on 2.3Ghz i7 Core and KNIME runs smoothly. If I was you I would focus on trying to get 8Gb RAM and the largest Flash Hard Drive you can afford, I wouldnt unduly worry about processor speed, they are all fast. KNIME uses lots of files, so you'll notice a speed increase with Flash HD as opposed to Serial ATA hard drives.

My recommendation is get the MacBook Pro from the Refurbished section on Apples website (basically last cycles stock) at a knockdown price with the same warranty. Thats what I did and I didnt regret it, here is the link.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

Simon.

Great Simon, I'll definitely look into those refurbished models.  Your feedback is much appreciated!

-James