Why do integers wind up with a decimal (.0) when I pull them in using the XLS Reader node?

Why do integers wind up with a decimal (.0) when I pull them in using the XLS Reader node? Is this behavior caused by how Excel handles the field? Is there any way to configure the XLS Reader node to prevent this from happening? Thanks.

This worked as you would hope for me, but maybe your Excell file is a bit different.  Can you upload an example?  

Aaron:

Looks like an Excel thing. If the field is text in the Excel file the import brings it in as text.

I'm breaking apart an Excel file that has a combination of string and double so I now understand why it's treating the numbers as text. But I still don't quite understand why Excel tacks on the .0 if it's a text field. It doesn't show up in the actual Excel file but I'm assuming the import into the Excel reader node reads the 'invisible' .0 that Excel tacks on.

I would add that you can always cast a double to an integer using the math formula node.  Look for the checkbox that says "convert to int".

Regards,

Aaron