XLS Reader problems with reading uppercase into KNIME

I have an excel file which contains text and numbers.  The KNIME XLS reader seems to be changing the case of some of the data:

Original data (XLSX file):

How the XLS Reader reads the data:

What is strange is 99% of the data is read in correctly.  As an example rows 3 & 4 are read in correctly, but rows 1 & 2  the data has been changed to lowercase?  This change is is giving me false findings while I am checking the data and is driving my end users mad.

I cannot use the case convertor node (to convert everything to a particular case) as my data is in mixed case and my checks need to be case sensitive.

I have attached the excel file with the problem (ct2.xlsx).  It may be some formatting error in the excel file, but I cannot find it.

Can anyone please help?

Hello Macca,

This is due to the format of Excel. Despote showing you a text like "TRUE", that actual data is a boolean, which is normally written in lower case.

<c r="A1" s="1" t="s"><v>0</v></c>	<c r="B1" s="1" t="s"><v>1</v></c>	<c r="C1" s="1" t="s"><v>2</v></c>
<c r="A2" s="1" t="s"><v>3</v></c>	<c r="B2" s="1" t="b"><v>0</v></c>	<c r="C2" s="1" t="b"><v>0</v></c>
<c r="A3" s="1" t="s"><v>3</v></c>	<c r="B3" s="1" t="b"><v>1</v></c>	<c r="C3" s="1" t="b"><v>1</v></c>
<c r="A4" s="3" t="s"><v>4</v></c>	<c r="B4" s="3" t="s"><v>5</v></c>	<c r="C4" s="3" t="s"><v>5</v></c>
<c r="A5" s="3" t="s"><v>4</v></c>	<c r="B5" s="3" t="s"><v>6</v></c>	<c r="C5" s="3" t="s"><v>7</v></c>

Note that B2, B3, C2 and C3 have t="b".

If you want KNIME to read your data as precise as possible, please select the complete spreadsheet and format it as text. Even better would be an export to CSV.

Best,
Ferry