KNIME 3.7 freezes

Hi together,

i updated my KNIME Version to 3.7. Unfortunatelly since i started working with it my KNIME Desktop application froze twice. I could not save my progress nor change click anything within the KNIME window. I had to close and reopen KNIME to make it work again. I was not executing a node while it froze. I don’t know why it happens, but i think i was working a lot with the new Workflow Annotations (copy pasting, resizing etc.).
Any ideas or suggestions?

Best Michael

That’s new to us – maybe introduced by the new annotation mode in 3.7.

If you let the application open for ~1min or so it will write some debug information to the knime.log file. Can you share that with us? (Better yet would be a recipe how to reproduce the problem.)

I looked into it and found the following exception:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2018-12-07 09:06:54.829
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4559)
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4448)
	at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4419)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.error(Display.java:1263)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.internal_new_GC(Display.java:2708)
	at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.getDepth(Device.java:454)
	at org.eclipse.swt.custom.CTabFolder.setBackground(CTabFolder.java:2409)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.properties.custom.CSSPropertyUnselectedTabsSWTHandler.applyCSSProperty(CSSPropertyUnselectedTabsSWTHandler.java:71)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.properties.AbstractCSSPropertySWTHandler.applyCSSProperty(AbstractCSSPropertySWTHandler.java:32)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.core.impl.engine.AbstractCSSEngine.applyCSSProperty(AbstractCSSEngine.java:766)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.core.impl.engine.AbstractCSSEngine.applyStyleDeclaration(AbstractCSSEngine.java:552)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.core.impl.engine.AbstractCSSEngine.applyStyles(AbstractCSSEngine.java:418)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.core.impl.engine.AbstractCSSEngine.applyStyles(AbstractCSSEngine.java:367)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.css.swt.internal.theme.ThemeEngine.applyStyles(ThemeEngine.java:507)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$7.setClassnameAndId(PartRenderingEngine.java:1322)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.SWTPartRenderer.setCSSInfo(SWTPartRenderer.java:111)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.WBWRenderer.updateNonFocusState(WBWRenderer.java:662)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.WBWRenderer.lambda$4(WBWRenderer.java:632)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:86)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4428)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1079)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1103)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1088)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Decorations.WM_ACTIVATE(Decorations.java:1698)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.WM_ACTIVATE(Shell.java:2277)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:4840)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Canvas.windowProc(Canvas.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Decorations.windowProc(Decorations.java:1657)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.windowProc(Shell.java:2199)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5191)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DefWindowProcW(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DefWindowProc(OS.java:2555)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.callWindowProc(Shell.java:506)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:4941)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Canvas.windowProc(Canvas.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Decorations.windowProc(Decorations.java:1657)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Shell.windowProc(Shell.java:2199)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:5178)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessageW(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessage(OS.java:2560)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3815)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1150)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1039)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:153)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:680)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:594)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
	at org.knime.product.rcp.KNIMEApplication.start(KNIMEApplication.java:144)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)

Could this be a possible reason? I attached the entire log file.log.txt (990.1 KB)

I don’t think that explains a freeze. Can you also check the knime.log some time after the freeze occurs (there is some timeout of 30s - 1min).

A sorry the wrong log file. Here is the one containing all logs of today.
I think it froze sometime around 8-10 in the morning. Sorry i don’t remember the exact time.
knime.zip (211.0 KB)

Thanks. That almost helped. Unfortunately the log is flooded with an error message indicating invalid syntax in a string manipulation node. I don’t think that it is the cause for the lock-up. (I report that as a separate ticket – we don’t need the extra logging then.)

Can you reproduce the problem but don’t let any node run?
Do you see high CPU utilization when this happens?

Unfortunately i don’t know why it happens thats why i can’t reproduce the problem. But i am pretty sure it happened to me twice on different workflows. If it happens again, i will post it here with the log file.

Ok it happened again. This time i was paying attention. It happened when i clicked at the border of the Workflow Annotation several times.
Here is the KNIME Log. It ends with the error message i posted earlier today.

knime.log.txt (289.0 KB)

1 Like

I see you’re on Windows - could you let me know which Windows version you’re running, and whether it’s in a VM?

I’m using Windows 10 Pro Version. But i’m not using a virtual environment.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. A related issue is being discussed here as well and we are investigating both. Workflow freeze & graphics problems with KNIME 3.7

1 Like

Please see the post here Workflow freeze & graphics problems with KNIME 3.7

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.