A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or JDK must be available in order to run Knime

Hi,

I have downloaded Knime 4.0.0 installer package and unzipped it in my local. When I tried running Knime.exe it throws me error “A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or JDK must be available in order to run Knime. No JVM was found after searching the following locations plugins/org.knime.binary.jre.win32.x86_64_1.8.0.202-b08/jre/bin”.

I verified I have installed Java JRE and located under C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_211\bin and alos defined in the Path variable.

Can you guide me on missing piece here?

Thanks,
Pen

A JRE is bundled with KNIME, so it doesn’t a local install should one exist. The JRE, for Windows, is in the plugin listed above (plugins/org.knime.binary.jre.win32.x86_64_1.8.0.202-b08/jre/bin) - if you examine that file path (relative to the KNIME directory) what appears to be missing? (e.g there is no org.knime.binary.jre... directory. there is that directory but no jre subdirectory. etc.)

1 Like

Thanks for the response
There is no org.knime.binary.jre.win32.x86_64_1.8.0.202-b08 directory under plugins.

Well there’s yer problem… sigh.

Did you download the installer from here: https://www.knime.com/downloads/download-knime ?

64-bit or 32-bit? Do you still have it on your filesystem (the installer) ? If so, from a Command Prompt window could you run an MD5 sum on it - e.g

CertUtil -hashfile "KNIME 4.0.0 Installer (64bit).exe" MD5

and include the output in your reply? I see:

MD5 hash of KNIME 4.0.0 Installer (64bit).exe:
59d001b2f8733864870c73ffc0605108

Alternatively, if you don’t care about forensics, and want to throw caution to the wind assuming that this was the one and only plugin that failed to get installed, you could modify the knime.ini file in the KNIME directory and on the line following -vm (which now lists that plugin path) list the full bath to your local JRE install.

1 Like

I dowloaded the zip file from the downloads page and extracted it.
I get below message while running the cmd

C:\Users\pen>CertUtil -hashfile “KNIME 4.0.0 Installer (64bit).ex
e” MD5
CertUtil: -hashfile command FAILED: 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2)
CertUtil: The system cannot find the file specified.

I also modified knime.ini file and updated the path to vm as below but the knime.exe wouldn fire up

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_211\bin

Ah - so you’re not using the installer. Ok - so you downloaded a zip and unpacked the zip. What is the MD5 of the zip file, if you still have it.

Windows is notoriously a poor operating system for long file paths; did you perhaps try to unpack the zip into a directory that is already several levels deep off the root of the drive? What happens if you unpack the zip into the root directory (ie. into C:\) ?

3 Likes

So, instead I went ahead and downloaded the installer file and successfully ran it. Thank you again for all the info.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.