A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or JDK must be available in order to run Knime

Updated from previous version to KNIME 5.2 from notification given by KNIME software. When trying to start KNIME after version update I get error message:
A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
must be available in order to run Knime. No Java virtual machine
was found after searching the following locations:
javaw.exe in your current PATH.
I understand Java should install bundled with KNIME package and have faced now issues with earlier KNIME versions. What should I do now, please?

Normally KNIME 5.2.x ships with JRE 17, but I have seen the issues. Sometime switching to the new UI closes KNIME. To fix any Java related issue follow the below steps:

1. You need JDK 17 and above (I would recommend: Eclipse Temurin)
  2. Once you install JDK copy the “jvm.dll” path (will look like this): C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.8.101-hotspot\bin\server\jvm.dll
  3. Go to the KNIME installed directory and open the file called “KNIME.ini”.
  4. Look for line: -vm
    a. (if you find it) Under this line you see there will be already a path of default JRE
    path that comes with KNIME. Replace that line with your newly installed JDK
    (copied in step 2).
    b. If you don’t find -vm: you can create 1st two lines in the file and save it (as below):
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\Eclipse Adoptium\jdk-17.0.8.101-hotspot\bin\server\jvm.dll

You can use different Knime version by overriding Java required for that version at the same time.

Hope it will solve your issue.

2 Likes

Thank you Prashant. Had typo in my original post: with earlier versions (5.1.2 being the previous one) I did not have this issue. Reinstalled that earlier version, will look to solve the issue with your instructions after completing my current task.

Thanks again Prashant, your instructions solved the problem. All good now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.