BUG: Cell split does not create missing but NULL

Hi,

I noticed an odd behavior in the cell splitter node. When creating a lsit via Cell split from a string that contains NULL values like so:

string1,,
string1,string2,
string1,string2,string3
string1,,string3

Only the last row contains missing. All other cells are NULL. This becomes a problem when ungrouping is done.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-09 um 09.42.35

Kind regards
Mike

1 Like

Hi mw,

thanks for sharing this issue with us! I just had a quick look into your workflow and you are right there seems something wrong with Cell Splitter Node. I would expect from:

String1,,
String1,,String2

The first line should be a collection with the form of [String1,,] and line should be and already will be outputted as [String1,*,String2]. The * should represent an empty String. I will do further investigations and if it turns out as bug (what I think it is) I will open a ticket and will let you know here in the forum.

Thanks for reporting! Have a nice weekend.

Best Lars

Hi @laaaarsi,

thanks for picking it up so quickly. I’ve spend some time to further understand the issue and come up with a possible interims solution.

The problem, form my perspective, comes from the fact that the Cell Splitter node automatically re-creates the table based on the max. size of a row. In my screenshot there were indeed missing values and they were created as the data, by counting the cell separators, was indeed missing.

I create a new table to test the scenario further out (? equals missing):

column1 column2 column3 column4
string1 ? ? ?
string1 string2 ? ?
string1 string2 string3 ?
string1 string2 string3 string4
string1 ? string3 ?
string1 ? ? string4
? string2 ? string4
? ? ? string4
? ? string3 string4
? ? ? string4

Converted to string via collection column it is (1st column equals row index):

0|?|?|?|?
1|string1|?|?|?
2|string1|string2|?|?
3|string1|string2|string3|?
4|string1|string2|string3|string4
5|string1|?|string3|?
6|string1|?|?|string4
7|?|string2|?|string4
8|?|?|?|string4
9|?|?|string3|string4
10|?|?|?|string4

If that is converted back but removing the trailing β€œ|?” it created real missing values. So it’s not really a but but the cell splitter does not interpret β€œ?” properly. The new workflow, same from above, has a few scenarios which try to remove all β€œ?” but it breaks the table structure.

Happy testing
Mike

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

thanks for adding an extended workflow! Will attach both versions to the ticket :slight_smile:

Best Lars

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.