Can not install all extensions

Hi,

I try to install Trusted community extensions but I receive errors and the installation will not install all the requested nodes. The installation of KNIME is clean

I can use only the zipped version (of knime and extensions).

What can I do to install all the extensions?

Thank you

Hello,

What version of AP are you currently using/is being used in this screenshot?

Regards,
Nickolaus

Hi, @NDekay

The version is 4.3.
On my work computer I do not have admin rights so I have to use the KNIME Analytics Platform for Windows (zip archive) and zipped update site for installing extensions.

I have no problem with past versions, all works as supposed to work.

Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply. So you started with the KNIME AP 4.3 zipped download, and are attempting to install all extensions from the zipped update site, but are encountering the error message, “The installation cannot be completed as requested”?

Thanks,
Nickolaus

Hi, @NDekay

Yes that is correct. But the error is not for all nodes in the extension. Some nodes are installed correctly.

I select all the nodes

Then starts the process of calculating requirements and I get this

And this are the nodes that will not be installed

If I choose show originla error I get this

But If I unselect RDKit … then I get th error for Erlowood … and so on

Thank you for your help

Hello,

Thank you for your patience as I researched this issue.

Obviously, from your screenshots, RDKit is a prerequisite for the Erlwood nodes, and the fact that some will not be installed is the root issue. The answer to WHY remains as yet unknown.

I attempted to reproduce the issue by setting up a Windows Server instance, and created a non-admin user.

As the non-admin user, I downloaded and installed 7zip, first, because the AP zip file has some deep directory structures and Windows’ built in zip file extractor can balk and choke on some of the extremely long filenames.
7zip msi: https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1900-x64.msi

Next, I downloaded the 64 bit zipped version of AP 4.3 from the main download site.
AP 4.3: https://www.knime.com/download-installer/5/64bit

I also downloaded the default update zip file (though I wound up not needing/using it).
default update site: https://update.knime.org/analytics-platform/UpdateSite_latest42.zip

Then, I downloaded the trusted community extensions zip file.
community extensions page: https://www.knime.com/community
trusted community extensions site: https://update.knime.com/community-contributions/trusted/4.3/TrustedCommunityContributions_4.3_202012181340.zip

I then extracted and opened AP, pointed it to a workspace folder, and went to Help>Install New Software.
On the “Work With” dialogue, I clicked ‘Add’.

On the repo dialogue, I clicked ‘Archive’

navigated to the trusted community zip file, clicked OK, and gave it a name and clicked OK again.

Then I installed all of the 4 categories of trusted community extensions that you selected in your first post.
I accepted the T&C and proceeded to Finish.
It installed, then prompted me to Restart KNIME.
Upon restart, Erlwood nodes are present.

In summary, I still don’t know why you experienced that issue, but perhaps if you review the steps I followed you may find something that helps with your own installation.

Regards,
Nickolaus

1 Like

Hi @NDekay

Thank you for your research and the steps to follow but I still can not install the extensions. I have no problem only with Erlwood or other nodes from trusted community extensions but also with other extensions like Paladian for eample

In the mid time I try to install KNIME extensions on my computer (I have admin rights, and internet access). When I try to install the extensions with downloaded zip files I receive the same message as on work computer and can not install all extensions.
But with the use of the update software sites all extensions installs without problems (I copied the entire folder to my work computer and now all is working well).

The mystery remains :roll_eyes:.

Regards
Andrej

Hi Andrei,

for now, you could simply disable installation of “Palladian for KNIME: Deprecated Nodes” by un-selecting this single feature (this sub-package contains old nodes which we no longer actively maintain or recommend to use, anyway).

I’ll see if there’s something to be fixed on our end.

–P

Hello,

I was operating under the impression that you were restricted to using the zipped update sites for installing extensions.
I checked for Palladian update zip but found per [1] that there was not one.
Installing the Palladian nodes via their update site [2] went without a hitch.

But, if you can use KNIME AP from the zip archive (thus skipping installation issues) and access the update sites normally (via internet) then you should have zero problems installing any updates.

Can you verify that you’re using AP 4.3.0 and that you’re using the right update sites/zip files?

What happens if you try a fresh “install” (zip unpack) of AP 4.3.0 with a clean (new) workspace and nodes installed via the update site (not zip file)?

Regards,
Nickolaus

[1] Palladian Nodes for Knime 4.0 - Installation from a local zip file?
[2] https://download.nodepit.com/palladian/4.1

Hi,

Yes on my work computer (which is behind a proxy) I am restricted, for updates and installations of new versions of KNIME I can use only zip files. Knime on my work computer doesn’t have internet access.

Yes I am using all the right zip files. I try to install the extensions (same zip file) on my private computer but it fails (like on work computer). On this private computer (has internet access) the update via update sites works well and I installed all the extensions (then I copy the entire folder to the work computer and all works well)

Regards
Andrej

Hello Andrej,

It is a curious issue. On the server where I performed my tests, it of course has internet access, so I have to wonder if perhaps there is a step that still reaches out to the internet even with the update zip installation - the fact that you’re behind a proxy seems to be the dominating difference here. It may be worth further testing on our end.

However, I’m glad that you were able to find a workaround; please let me know if you have any additional questions or issues, and we can look into it further together.

Regards,
Nickolaus

Hi @NDekay

Today I saw that is available the update zip for Trusted extensions (latest version 2021-01-15). I downloaded it and try to install on my work computer over the copy that has all extensions installed (that one I have copied from my private computer) and it finished with success :+1:.
Then I try to install it on a fresh install but I get the same message (that some extension will not be installed).
Is possible to make a log of the extensions install process? How can I make it? So I can send it to you.

Regards
Andrej

Hello,

If you would like to send in log files for inspection, please gather:

1. knime.ini
  2. <executor_workspace_location>\.metadata\knime\knime.log

You can send this in to us at support@knime.com. Please also include a link to this forum thread, for reference.

Thank you,
Nickolaus

Hello,

Based on further testing, this appears to be an issue in which AP still attempts to reach out to a particular KNIME internet resource, even when operating in an airgapped/proxied installation with limited internet access. This is, of course, not as visible when in a ‘normal’ operating environment, but shows up when operating in stricter conditions.

I have created a defect designated AP-16145 to track this issue, and we will work to remedy the issue in upcoming versions. However, I will not be able to provide any timeline for a fix of this issue or notify you once it is complete. Please monitor the AP changelogs for its inclusion when it is corrected.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
Nickolaus

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your time and work.

Regards
Andrej