Can you develop an extension that doesn't use nodes?

Essentially I am trying to make a specific kind of logging for KNIME. I want this to be an easy plug and play extension for KNIME rather than doing something with the source code, is this possible? I also want to know if the properties of existing nodes and custom nodes are exposed for this purpose. Other things I might want to be able to access include the users actions and the existing KNIME log. It would also be great to get pointed in the right direction for resources for developing for KNIME from this perspective, rather than creating more nodes.

Thanks!

Hello @azsb1g19,

and welcome to KNIME Community!

What are you missing from KNIME logging? For example KNIME Streaming Execution (Beta) extension comes without nodes so it’s possible to create such an extension. However I’m not a developer so can’t direct you more that this.

Guess you already checked the Quickstart guide from KNIME Docs?
https://docs.knime.com/latest/analytics_platform_new_node_quickstart_guide/index.html#_introduction

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

KNIME logging is great! I’m making logging that can feed into an existing body of work that stores that logging information as a different kind of graph that is queryable by an SQL-Like language. That streaming extension looks interesting though I’ll take a look, and the quickstart guide I haven’t gotten around to yet but thanks all the same,

2 Likes

Hello @azsb1g19,

ok. So you are in for log file analysis using SQL-like language. Interesting. However maybe it’s not necessary for you to develop your own logging but rather transform current log entries to what your “existing body of work” requires? Additionally here is workflow from Hub that does (Server) log file parsing&analysis.

Anyways good luck and if any questions/issues feel free to ask.

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Hi @azsb1g19

If you want to write the logs to a new location you can very simply add a custom slf4j log binding:

best,
Gabriel

2 Likes