Cannot show configure dialog for "CVS Reader" node

Hi

After installing KNIME on macOS Catalina and using it for the first time, on the next run I cannot
configure an “CVS Reader” node with the error:

ERROR CSV Reader 0:1 Error while creating node dialog for ‘CSV Reader’: null

I have tried to delete all *.txt files in .metadata folder, restarted KNIME, but still I cannot get past this error. Is there a way to solve this problem ?

Bogdan

1 Like

Hi Bogdan,
Could you share your KNIME log (View->Open KNIME log). Right after the error occurred you should see an error at the bottom of the log file and it would be really good to see that portion in order to find out what is going on.
Kind regards
Alexander

Hi Alex

Here are the last lines from the log:

2020-01-11 22:22:03,656 : ERROR : main : : Node : CSV Reader : 0:1 : Error while creating node dialog for ‘CSV Reader’: null

java.lang.NullPointerException

at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getDefaultFrc(FontDesignMetrics.java:157)

at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getMetrics(FontDesignMetrics.java:278)

at sun.swing.SwingUtilities2.getFontMetrics(SwingUtilities2.java:1113)

at javax.swing.JComponent.getFontMetrics(JComponent.java:1626)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLabelUI.getPreferredSize(BasicLabelUI.java:245)

at javax.swing.JComponent.getPreferredSize(JComponent.java:1662)

at javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeCellRenderer.getPreferredSize(DefaultTreeCellRenderer.java:565)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$NodeDimensionsHandler.getNodeDimensions(BasicTreeUI.java:2815)

at javax.swing.tree.AbstractLayoutCache.getNodeDimensions(AbstractLayoutCache.java:492)

at javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache$TreeStateNode.updatePreferredSize(VariableHeightLayoutCache.java:1360)

at javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache.rebuild(VariableHeightLayoutCache.java:738)

at javax.swing.tree.VariableHeightLayoutCache.setModel(VariableHeightLayoutCache.java:109)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.setModel(BasicTreeUI.java:412)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.propertyChange(BasicTreeUI.java:3414)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$PropertyChangeHandler.propertyChange(BasicTreeUI.java:2891)

at com.apple.laf.AquaTreeUI$MacPropertyChangeHandler.propertyChange(AquaTreeUI.java:309)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.fire(PropertyChangeSupport.java:335)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:327)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:263)

at java.awt.Component.firePropertyChange(Component.java:8434)

at javax.swing.JTree.setModel(JTree.java:885)

at org.knime.core.node.config.ConfigEditJTree.setModel(ConfigEditJTree.java:107)

at javax.swing.JTree.<init>(JTree.java:673)

at org.knime.core.node.config.ConfigEditJTree.<init>(ConfigEditJTree.java:87)

at org.knime.core.node.config.ConfigEditJTree.<init>(ConfigEditJTree.java:81)

at org.knime.core.node.NodeDialogPane$FlowVariablesTab.<init>(NodeDialogPane.java:1498)

at org.knime.core.node.NodeDialogPane.<init>(NodeDialogPane.java:268)

at org.knime.base.node.io.csvreader.CSVReaderNodeDialog.<init>(CSVReaderNodeDialog.java:111)

at org.knime.base.node.io.csvreader.CSVReaderNodeFactory.createNodeDialogPane(CSVReaderNodeFactory.java:65)

at org.knime.core.node.ContextAwareNodeFactory.createNodeDialogPane(ContextAwareNodeFactory.java:98)

at org.knime.core.node.Node$1.run(Node.java:2205)

at org.knime.core.node.util.ViewUtils$3.run(ViewUtils.java:353)

at org.knime.core.node.util.ViewUtils$2.run(ViewUtils.java:155)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

1 Like

You could try a clean start. I recently experienced some problems on a later version of MacOSX. Also you might try to create a new knime workflow and a new CSV Reader node

KNIME start with -clean option in knime.ini

Under MacOSX you would go to the programs folder, right click on the KNIME symbol, show package content. Then Contents/Eclipse to find the knime.ini file.

3 Likes

You would see that exception in getDefaultFrc() were the OpenGL initialization to fail during startup (the native invocation of CGLGraphicsConfig.initCGL(), specifically.)

Is there anything ‘special’ about your hardware configuration? (is this a hackintosh? do you have multiple monitors - if so how many, how connected, which monitor is KAP starting up on? …)

4 Likes

I have multiple monitors connected to a docking station. My PC is a MacBook Pro from 2018. Never had issues when using other apps. In this case however, initially I have started KNIME while using the laptop without standard monitors, then restarted the app with the monitors connected.

1 Like

@cristeab, what version of KNIME? did you try the most recent version and prior?

2018 macbook pro Catalina, how did you configure the hardware for this box?

Best,
t

Hi

I am using KNIME v.4.1.0. I didn’t make any special configuration, everything runs with default parameters. Interestingly the problem does not appear when running KNIME on my laptop without external monitors.

Bogdan

1 Like

I ask because I’ve seen similar bugs and I want to understand anything outside of the norm.

Sounds like you figured it out, external monitors… whenever i see strange things, i often find i’ve shut my laptop or let computer inactive too long, and restarting it helps.

Thanks for update, good to know you found a potential win.

When you had the external monitor connected and it was failing, was your laptop closed (aka clamshell mode?)

1 Like

Indeed, it was closed

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.