Can't find source code for ExcelReader -- XLSReaderNode**

Hi,

I want to check the source code of XLSReaderNode* to read ExcelFile. But couldn’t find the source codes either online by google or through KNINE installation in Eclipse.
Here are what I have tired.

1. By searching for the ExcelReader, I have found its basic information in this page ExcelReader.
  2. Then I tried source code search on github, but there’s no java code for this. SO I guess, it’s not open yet??
  3. I imported the bundle in my project like this,

Require-Bundle:
org.knime.ext.poi2

But it didn’t get the codes.
4. Tried in Eclipse, could find the source code for Excel, but don’t know which extension I should look at.

Do you have any idea about this?? Thanks a lot

Kefang

1 Like

Hi @KFDing,

You can do the following to get the source code:

1. Open KNIME and install the following feature/plugin from the official KNIME update site: Source for KNIME Excel Support
  2. Go to your KNIME installation folder and watch out for file org.knime.ext.poi2.source_4.0.0.v201906191237.jar in folder plugins.
  3. Extract the JAR file and voilá. The folder org/knime/ext/poi2/node/read3 contains the node’s model and dialog files.

By the way: This works for all plugins/extensions that provide source bundles.

Best regards,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi,

I checked out the source codes and get it downloaded locally

I used the Eclipse Type Search, it shows it could find out the XLSReaderNodeModel.

But when I tried to refer the class in my codes like XLSReaderNodeModel, it still doesn’t work.

Do you have any clue about this??

Kefang

Hello @KFDing,
you can now find the source code on GitHub: https://github.com/knime/knime-excel

Cheers,

Adrian

3 Likes

Hi, @danielesser,

I followed your instruction and did succeed with Excel Extension. I was thankful. But recently, one similar situation came to me and it made me rethink your suggestion.
The similar situation is “I need to find the source codes or jar for node StringToDateTime again.” I have found the source code by git search https://github.com/knime/knime-base/tree/cc4c79276c7aa39acb6a8f5c77e4adf8fc9e1eb0/org.knime.time/src/org/knime/time/node/convert/stringtodatetime
But had no idea how to get the source codes from KNIME in Eclipse. When I searched the platform to import the extension, I didn’t know the extension name for such Node.
So my question is, could you give me more tips how to find the corresponding extension to download for certain nodes??

Best
Kefang

Hi @KFDing,

Sure. This is what I did – not very simple and straight forward but it works :slight_smile:

1. Search String to Date&Time node on NodePit and look out for the following information:

The page header shows the plugin that contains the node. Here it is KNIME Date and Time Handling. Have a look at the linked URL (https://nodepit.com/iu/org.knime.time) as it contains the plugin name: org.knime.time

At the bottom of the node page, you can find information about what feature you have to install from which update site to get this node. Here it is KNIME Core from the default KNIME update site.

2. Make use of this information as follows:

Open KNIME and install the source plugin for this feature (here: Source for KNIME Core from the default KNIME update site).

Afterwards, go to your KNIME installation folder and watch out for a file named org.knime.time.source_xxx. This contains the source code.

Hoe this helps. That should work for all nodes that contain plugin and source code on their update site, which is mostly all of the KNIME-provided nodes.

Best regards,
Daniel

3 Likes

It’s not so simple but a great job!! Thanks a lot! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Hey @KFDing,

Just wanted to let you know: NodePit now provides a functionality that searches the source code for a particular node for you. As can be seen in the screenshot, just hit the blue button Take Me to the Source: String to Date&Time

I am aware, you were explicitly searching for the source jar file so this might not 100% fit your needs, but maybe worth remembering once you are searching node code going forward.

Best regards,
Daniel

3 Likes

The search in Eclipse based on jar files is convenient to look for the connected classes in development. But your code kind of provides the entrance to the search!
Thanks for your update! This new feature is wonderful!! :clap::clap:
Best
Kefang

1 Like