Change string to date format

Dears,

I am new using Knime and I am facing below issue.
I have column which contanis date in this format Mar-2019 (actually it is string). I would like to change it to normal date format 2019-03-01
I have formated String to Date&Time with MMM-yyyy in date format

Hovewer I get this error

ERROR String to Date&Time 0:48 Execute failed: Failed to parse date in row '1.0_Row20: Text ‘Jul-2018’ could not be parsed: Unable to obtain LocalDate from TemporalAccessor: {Year=2018, MonthOfYear=7},ISO of type java.time.format.Parsed

Hi @Jedrek and welcome to the KNIME community,

I guess, you would need to attach the day (“01”) to your column and then use the String to Date&Time Node. I tried this by using the String Manipulator before and it works…
Z_010_data01.knwf (7.6 KB)

regards, Tommy

2 Likes

Hi @tommy,
Thank you for replay. Unfortunately it didn’t work, because some row contain NULL values. Is it possible to add if statement to String Manipulation?

hi @jedrek,
not in the String Manipulation, however you may use a Row splitter (Row filter) Node in order to exclude the NULL values first.

Top Output Port contains valid rows, Bottom Output Port the “Nulls” / missing values.

Hi there @jedrek,

also you can unckeck Fail on error option in String to Date&Time node. This will create missing value from any value that can not be parsed.

FailOnError

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

hi @ipazin
Thank you for your replay, it has worked but I got “?” instead of empty values.
Can I get NULLs insted?
I have tried to use string manipulation, but “?” are still there
replace($Month$,"?","")

Hi @jedrek,

to deal with missing values there is Missing Value node so check him out. Also you can use Rule Engine node with following expressions:

MISSING $column_name$ => “NULL”
TRUE => $column_name$

Don’t think String Manipulation node can deal with missing values.

Br,
Ivan

Thank you, apparently after saving file, there were no “?” Just empty values

Hi,

red question mark in KNIME means missing value :wink:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.