Column expression node help - referencing new columns

Hi there - recent Alteryx transfer here. I am trying to get accustomed to the equivalent nodes in Knime and had 2 questions related to the “column expressions” node.

1. In Alteryx, I frequently use the formula tool to create expressions in new columns. In the screenshot below, I created a handful of new columns, and the formulas in succeeding columns reference columns created above within the same tool. For example, the first “hotel_revenue” column created is referenced in formulas further down within the same tool. Is it possible to reference newly created columns in expressions below (within the same column expressions node)? When I create a new column, I cannot see that column when selecting “+ column” for a new expression. If not available, how can you request Knime admins to consider for future releases?

1. A minor usability feature that seems to be missing in Knime (screenshot below) - When creating formulas in alteryx, I can easily start typing the column name and it will shortlist and autofill when clicking tab to easily select the column for the formula. In Knime, it seems like you have to click the “+ column” dropdown and manually find the column to select. Is there an easier way of doing this? Seems cumbersome to always have to find the column if you have many attributes in your dataset. If not, this would be another simple usability improvement feature to consider for future release.

1 Like

Regarding the second point - is there also an autofill/tab feature for functions? Similar to alteryx/excel/many other tools, beginning typing a function (if statement to see a dropdown of the different if, if/else, if/and) to quickly see and select the different function options.

Hello @namoroso,

and welcome to KNIME Community!

1. This is not possible but there is already a ticket in system to add this functionality to Column Expressions node and will note your request there. (Internal Reference: AP-13383)
  2. Just tried this and function menu is offered on “Ctrl + space” in multiple nodes (Column Expressions, Math Formula, String Manipulation). In addition to that Column Expressions node also offers column list.

There is a guide that can help you transition from Alteryx to KNIME:

Br,
Ivan

4 Likes

Hi @ipazin,

Thank you for the response and update on the 2 points mentioned as well as the alteyrx crossover document!

I eventually found the “Ctrl + space” functionality, which is a good start, but it requires the exact typing of the preceding “column(”" before the column name, which defeats the efficiency benefit. Would it be possible to submit a ticket to do some type of fuzzy matching dropdown when you start typing a general column or function? For example, if I type “ctrl + space” and then start typing “revenue”, having the dropdown recognize “column(“revenue”)” (similar to the screenshot I attached). I think this would make the column expressions formula functionality significantly more efficient for end users. Additionally, any node that requires either selecting columns or manually typing them in would benefit greatly.

Thank you!

Nick

1 Like

Hello @namoroso,

sry for a bit of delay. I totally agree with you and actually there was a similar request for joiner node based on which I created ticket some time ago. That ticket is now updated to be more general and your request is included in it. (Internal Reference: AP-15121)

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

Thanks @ipazin!

I really like the joiner labs node as well.

I am also going to make another post with a list of some great user functionality updates that could greatly benefit Knime that Alteryx does really well.

Thanks again for the help!
Nick

1 Like

Hello @namoroso,

you are welcome.

Cool just make sure to first search KNIME forum for same/similar request functionalities and if found then either join those threads (if not closed) or in new topic link to them.

Here is one more topic you might find useful:

Br,
Ivan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.