Configuration Component view and node settings ...

Dear KNIME forum, one feedback suggestion: i do not know if it is possible but for me it will be very nice to see that knime nodes (some of tham) have an oportunity to act as configuration nodes which mean to expose itself (his own settings) to Components configuration view by simple using checkbox which can say: yes I want to use these nodes in that extended way or not … this can make handling nodes/workflow much easier i think in opposite to having bunch of special configuration nodes beside these regular ones - more visible, and much simpler? to use with like answering on two simple questions: do i need this node settings in configuration view and if yes, which one of these? (simple solution?: kind of special tab in node configuration view?)

3 Likes

Hello @ssimara,

like your idea very much and actually thought how cool would that be when I needed to configure Joiner inside Component over its configuration view :sweat_smile:

Br,
Ivan

2 Likes

Hello @ssimara,

that is a very interesting idea. However, I’m not quite sure how this could look like, since most of our dialogs consist of multiple tabs. If you were to just put the entire configuration panel of that node into the component dialog, the component dialog would get very crowded pretty quickly. Do you have any particular nodes in mind for which you would like to see this behavior?

Greetings,
Daniel

2 Likes

Usually these are all kind of preprocessing nodes in general (which I use a lot in my workflows) like Manipulation nodes for example (but there is of course some others too) … my suggestion is mostly based on practical experince, not investigation – I mean, Configuration nodes based on filtering, selection or input mostly repeating regular nodes of same kind …I never made investigation, but there is a of couse nodes which can not go easy on that way … like for example Column Resorter node, which jump into my mind: not easy to setup without kind of upgrade: you can easely? set Move First, Move Last, A-Z, Z-A but it can be tricky having configuration windows for Up, Down exept you don’t have an option to define how many steps these Up or Down means …

I am not quite sure that my last example (Column Resorter node) is useful one :slight_smile: