Connect knime server to RDS

Hi All,

We have setup Knime using the marketplace Server setup and I am now attempting to connect it to our RDS instance (MySQL)

I can ssh into the server and connect to the MySQL 100% fine so I believe there is no connectivity issues between the KNIME server and the RDS instance however, when I try to connect using either:

• Database Connector
  • MySQL connector

Using the same information as when i connect from ssh (from the server) I get connectivity time out.

Now, I am new to KNIME and I am assuming that my local client, connects to the server which then connects to RDS, my local machine does not have connectivity to RDS only the KNIME Server.

Is there any way to debug this, whats going on here?

Its the KNIME analytics 4.1.0 with a newly spun up marketplace machine. The error I am getting is:

Database connection could not be validated: connect timed out

Hello Syrine,

Thank you for contacting KNIME regarding this issue.

My understanding of the issue is that you are using KNIME Analytics Platform (KAP) 4.1.0 to run a workflow on a KNIME server (KS) (version unspecified), and that you are attempting to use Database Connector or MySQL Connector nodes to establish a database connection to an RDS instance. However, when you do so, you get a ‘connectivity timeout’ error, even though you are able to ssh into the RDS machine and login to mysql from the command line successfully.

1. Is this RDS instance in AWS, as you had mentioned in thread 12713?
  2. Can you provide any configuration details on the database connector/mysql connector nodes?
  3. Can you provide the exact message, or a screenshot, of the error?

I look forward to helping you resolve this issue!

Regards,
Nickolaus

hello @NDekay thank you for your response.
I’ve changed the RDS security group configuration and it’s working now

1 Like

Hello syrine,

Thanks for the follow-up on this issue. I’m glad to hear that it was just a simple security group configuration.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Regards,
Nickolaus