Connecting to Google Sheets in Shared Drives

Problem: Unable to access Google sheets in Shared drives

This has been posted multiple times in the forum before but all closed without a proper resolution.
One of the main issues not understood in the previous topics raised is the confusion of what a Shared drive is, hence also confusion on how to address it.

This is what it looks like:

As you can see the files under Shared drives are not exactly the same as the files that are shared directly by one user to another which will show under “Shared with me”.
Shared drive is a Gsuite feature not available to free gmail and even to the basic Gsuite subscription (as far as I know), it needs an upgraded version of Gsuite. Here is the help article for Shared Drives: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/7212025?visit_id=638192941615170665-2267983714&hl=en&rd=1

Workflow example for this case is like this:
Google Authentication > Google Sheets Connection > Google Sheets Reader

Even with max permissions for the file, the Google Sheets Reader will not be able to find the Shared drive file i.e. it is not in the list of files in the “Select existing spreadsheet” interface.

Hi @marcellusmontilla -

You’re right, this currently isn’t supported, but I found a ticket for it in our system (AP-11391). I’ve added a +1 from you on that ticket. Sorry for the trouble!

1 Like

Does this option help you?

1 Like

This only works for My Drive, not for Shared drives.

I use it for Shared Drive, too. I don’t think I did anything special, but it definitely works for both My Drive and Shared Drives

If this really works for shared drives, still not ideal since I dont really want to sync all of my company’s files in my local computer just to get access to one file. I also dont want to deal with the hard drive space consumption of unnecessary files and other complications with using it on macOS. It’s actually easier to just use a different tool than forcing a Knime workaround.

I’m still hoping they fix it soon though.

FYI, I set it up with the option to NOT duplicate everything. It’s just a synced pointer, basically. So you don’t have to use up hard drive space, etc.

When I update the local version in the desktop using Knime, does it update the original cloud version? This is also a big concern in file consistency because there are other users of the file hence in the Shared drive. It might complicate matters for us. Anyway, I already used a different solution for this. So, we wont be trying this workaround using Drive for Desktop.

Hi @ScottF

any updates on this issue? (AP-11391)

Thanks.

Hello @Doma ,

AP-11391 is in Open, Unassigned status. We do not have information that we can provide at this time as to possible scheduling in future sprints/releases for this defect.

Thank you,
Nickolaus

Hi All,
first download google drive for pc and install
on google drive (shared with me / the file ) right click on organize → add shortcut , select your drive folder on “my drive”
on knime use local file system conector and search your google drive leter ej: G
G:.shortcut-targets-by-id
and search the id the folder ej:1gKEoZce5YVmtrnjFNJ0_iAtm2mclmWWX \YourShared (AR Tracker)

and that’s it

1 Like

Hi @ceokpmaster2k -

Nice workaround, thanks for posting it! This should be a big help to many people while we work to improve node functionality.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.