Credentials from Widget not used automatically in GET node

Hi, I have a workflow that uses the credentials widget to get the username/password for an external service to generate a session key via a GET request - this node is set to use the credentials variable as part of the authentication. I have wrapped the credentials widget up into a component so that it prompts the user for these details.

When I run this on my machine it picks up and uses the credentials as expected, but when i move this to the server to run when it gets to the GET node it is no longer using the credentials input. is there a way to force that it always uses the credentials variable or am I missing a set up step?

here is the set up of the nodes
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 11.30.01

the component
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 11.31.24

the GET node setup

Hi,
Have you configured the Component Output to let out the credentials flow variable? This should also be necessary locally, but maybe that was another error?
Kind regards,
Alexander

Yes the credentials flow variable is coming out of the component but it is not being used by the GET node

Hi,
Any chance you can share the workflow without any confidential info? The relevant part with the widget and get request would be enough. If I had it, I could check it on my side.
Kind regards,
Alexander

Here is a crude version ( with the target API removed )
KNIME_project3.knwf (70.6 KB)

Hi,
I could not reproduce the issues you are facing. The workflow seems correctly configured and when I replaced the URL in the GET Request with https://httpbin.org/anything, which just plays back the data it receives, and then show that in a Text Output Widget, I do get back my credentials (base64 encoded). Does that attached workflow work for you and display JSON on the second page?
Credentials Widget.knwf (77.3 KB)

Kind regards,
Alexander

1 Like

Hi
Thank you for sharing this workflow - I cannot connect to httpbin due to firewalls but I am seeing the same issue as before so it must be an issue on our server installation

Hi,
Is this workflow opened via the Remote Workflow Editor? I think there you can’t see credentials flow variables for security reasons. If you run the GET Request on the server without opening the dialog, what error does it return?
Kind regards,
Alexander

I am looking at the workflow of the job as it is running and examining the Nodes themselves. when running I am getting ’ * WORKFLOW ERROR: Further workflow execution is not possible. Please check the workflow.’

the node it is failing on is because the JSON is not being returned by the GET request.

Looking into this a bit more by changing the GET node from credentials to a hardcoded username password seems to point to a change in proxy settings / firewall - I will investigate further.

Thanks Alexander for your help!

Hi,
Great, good luck and let us know here if you find a solution or if we can help!
Alexander

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.