Cross-talk between Knime and Chromium on Ubuntu 18.04

Dear Knimers,

I would like to report a kind “cross-talk” between Knime and the Chromium browser on my Ubuntu 18.04 machine. Sometimes Knime completely freezes; after I close my Chromium browser window that I use for unrelated stuff like gmail Knime immediately becomes responsive again.

It could perhaps be a memory issue, but it does not look that way because all other apps that I have open continue to behave normally. If it happens again I will post a response to this post with the memory situation.

Perhaps relevant info from the Knime preferences:

My default system browser is Firefox.

Cheers
Aswin

Hi @Aswin -

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve had a few reports of issues with Chromium and Ubuntu of late, and we’re looking into it. I’ll add this post to the list for the dev team to consider.

If you come across any other details that might prove useful, please do post them!

1 Like

Dear @ScottF,

I haven’t been able to consistently reproduce it yet, but maybe the problem is related to Unity thinking that Knime Javascript (Electron?) windows are Chrome browser windows, as it groups them together?

Best
Aswin

Dear @ScottF,

It just happened again, and the weird thing is that Chromium was not even open when Knime froze. Yet opening and closing Chromium unfroze Knime. My Knime session was quite big:

Cheers
Aswin

Just want to mention that it is still happening with Knime 4.2.

Hi @Aswin -

Sorry for the trouble. Let me see if I can get some developer input here.

1 Like

Hi @ScottF,

this sounds crazy but I just had an event (I was busy editing values in the Table Creator node) where Knime locked up… Chromium was not even running. However, I could “release” Knime by opening and closing Chromium.

Best,
Aswin

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.