Database Nodes (Legacy) and flow variables

Hello,

For some workflows i have, i need to use Workflow variables in database nodes.
Those workflows have beed created in versions 3.x
From version 4, the flow variables can’t be used in the Database Update (Legacy) or Database Delete (Legacy)
Is there any fix ongoing ?
This would be needed on my side (a lot) :slight_smile:
Many thanks in advance
Kind regards
Bruno

Hi there @bruno.grall_epershand.eu,

what do you mean by “flow variables can’t be used”? I just tried and managed to use flow variable for table name in Database Delete (legacy) node. Are you referring to some specific parameter or?

Br,
Ivan

That could be a parenthesis. Check if you use them like field = ‘$$Sparam$$’

Hello,

I am talking about Flowvariable thumbnail, not simple variables that we can use in the sql commands.
For exemple if you go into the thumbnail, you will not be able to pass DB URL or DB user or DB Table names :frowning:

Those are the real flowvariable i am refering to.

Hope you will also have the same issue and a clue on top :slight_smile:

Cheers
Bruno

What is this? Can you share some print screen?

Br,
Ivan

Hello,

here is an old workflow : you’ll see that workflow variables are available in the update node.
When you copy & paste such a node, it looses acces to workflow variables immediately.

Thanks in advance
An old workflow.docx (210.7 KB)

I can’t answer your question specifically, but there is an awesome migration tool that KNIME came out with. You should be able to migrate your legacy DB nodes to the new ones and it will automatically update a lot of settings (ex. I couldn’t figure out how to enable SSL in the new nodes), hope this helps: https://docs.knime.com/latest/db_extension_guide/index.html#migration

1 Like

the reason why you can’t see flow variable is because node doesn’t have input table connected and is not configurable. This is normal behavior. Connect input table to node and you will have workflow variables available.

Additionally, if no obstacles, I recommend to switch to new database framework.

Br,
Ivan

Hello,

it works fine that way :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks a lot !
Kind regards

1 Like