Download and Install Knime Extension (Anonymize) without Drag and Drop on Work Laptop

Hi,

I’m trying to install a knime extension called Anonymization (Anonymization – KNIME Hub) but I am unable to drag and drop as I’m using my work laptop which has it’s own firewall and security settings. How can I install this extension on my Knime application? I understand you can upload as a zip but I couldn’t even find the button to download it as a zip.

Thank you in advance

Hi @samuelfungcl and welcome to the forum.

You can find the instructions for setting up a local update site (as well as the locations for downloading the necessary files) in our documentation here: KNIME Analytics Platform Installation Guide

1 Like

Hi @samuelfungcl , I have never used, nor do I have the Anonymization node. However, looking at the documentation there, it would seem like it’s doing a sha-1 hash.

If you are still stuck because of firewall, there are alternatives to achieve this without additional extensions. One alternative is to use Java, and use the DigestUtils from apache commons codec. In fact, you can use different hashes, more robust that sha-1, such as sha256 or sha3_256, etc - Anonymization seems to only do Sha-1, which is weak.

The apache commons libraries come bundled with Knime, and the Java Snippet can access them:

Just choose the latest apache commons codec that you have, and click on Add Selected Bundles. Once you click on the button, it will get added there:

Now you have access to all of the classes from the apache commons codec.

You can now use the different methods from the DigestUtils:

out_Sha1 = org.apache.commons.codec.digest.DigestUtils.sha1Hex(c_column1);
out_sha256 = org.apache.commons.codec.digest.DigestUtils.sha256Hex(c_column1);
out_sha3_256 = org.apache.commons.codec.digest.DigestUtils.sha3_256Hex(c_column1);

Results:

Here’s the workflow: Hash alternative without extensions.knwf (7.1 KB)

1 Like