Downloading web table

I’m using the trial version (for Knime 4) and attempting to download a table from a web page. I’m not able to figure out a workflow on my own; is there an example to which I can be pointed? Thanks very much.

Hi (again) Jay,

when working with tables, I definitely suggest to have a look at the Table Extractor node first. In case the website provides a properly formatted <table> element this node will automatically convert it to a KNIME table.

Example from the Wikipedia page List of languages by total number of speakers:

Use the Find Elements node to enter the query for the table. Here I’m using the CSS query .wikitable.

Then simply connect a “Table Extractor” and you’ll get a KNIME table which looks as follows:

The workflow is a simple as:

You can find the sample workflow on my NodePit Space:

Feel free to get back in case of questions!

Best,
Philipp

4 Likes

Philipp- thanks a million… that was exactly what I needed and everything is working perfectly. Again, thanks so much for your quick and totally problem-solving response. Just a tip to future post readers: if your extraction is large as mine are, be sure to set timeouts high enough. Also, be sure the target browser is already open.

3 Likes

Just one change in my tip… I’m actually getting a better result by ensuring that the target browser (at least in my case using Chrome) had no instances running. The workflow will open the browser and control it reliably.

1 Like

Hi Jay,

great to hear it worked! Happy about the positive feedback. Thank you!

– Philipp

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.