Error configuring File Reader node

I am getting an error configuring File/CSV Reader nodes.

ERROR File Reader 2:1 Error while creating node dialog for ‘File Reader’: null

The error keeps occurring after reinstallation of the full software. Also the proposed solution of deleting the history_ASCIIfile does not work for me.

Hi @smounir,
could you share your knime.log file so that the developers can have a clearer picture of what went wrong where in the code?
Kind regards
Alexander

Thnx for the quick response. The full error log:

!SESSION 2019-09-16 11:43:52.886 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_202
java.vendor=AdoptOpenJdk
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_NL
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/hidden/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/hidden/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.registry 2 0 2019-09-16 11:43:57.824
!MESSAGE The extensions and extension-points from the bundle “org.apache.batik.ext.awt.knime_fragment” are ignored. The host bundle “org.apache.batik.ext.awt” is not marked as singleton.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2019-09-16 11:49:16.565
!MESSAGE Warnings while parsing the key bindings from the ‘org.eclipse.ui.commands’ and ‘org.eclipse.ui.bindings’ extension point
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui 2 0 2019-09-16 11:49:16.565
!MESSAGE Cannot bind to an undefined command: plug-in=‘org.knime.workbench.editor’, id=‘knime.commands.editor.gridSettings’

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2019-09-16 11:49:17.426
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|.local|169.254/16|.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2019-09-16 11:49:17.664
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.knime.kerberos.config.eclipse.KerberosControlContribution.lambda$7(KerberosControlContribution.java:294)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:37)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:182)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:4034)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3701)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1150)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1039)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:153)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:680)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:336)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:594)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:148)
at org.knime.product.rcp.KNIMEApplication.start(KNIMEApplication.java:149)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)

Hi,
thank you very much for the log. The error seems to originate in some Keberos-related code. Do you have Kerberos set up on your machine?
Kind regards
Alexander

Hey @smounir welcome to the KNIME community!

What you posted seems to be the output of the KNIME Start-up. Could you please give the full stacktrace of the File Reader Error from the KNIME log instead? You can find it in KNIME, under
View -> Open KNIME log

Are you trying to configure a newly added “File Reader” node or is it a node from a previously created Workflow? If the latter, could you please also try to create a new workflow with a newly dragged in “File Reader” an see if the error occurs too?

best regards Mareike

1 Like

Hi @mareike.hoeger , I am trying to add a newly added File Reader node in an empty workspace. There is not much more to the log file except what I already posted. I think @AlexanderFillbrunn reply is close to the solution.

@AlexanderFillbrunn I suppose it might be an error originating from an authentication protocol, as I was able to configure the node on my home network without issues yesterday night. Now I am facing the same issues again at my work network. Any suggestions on how to circumvent this?

Hi @smounir,
thanks for your replies. @AlexanderFillbrunn ask me to look into this, because I am one of the developers of the Kerberos authentication framework in KNIME. I asked you for the log files, because the stack trace you posted does not include the “File Reader” and this node should usually not trigger authentication. So to be able to fix that in the future it would be great to get input on where this error occurs in the “File Reader”

As you get an Error while trying to configure the node the log files should show a stacktrace that includes the the “File Reader” it would be great if you could post that or send it to me in a private message.

As you say, it is working in your home network, but not in your work network I assume you have some kind of domain authentication configured, that might cause issues in the Kerberos framework. Did you configure anything in the Preferences -> KNIME -> Kerberos settings? In any case could you try to enable the “Permanently show login status” option in that menu?

best regards Mareike

1 Like

@smounir Another thing worth knowing: do you read a file from the local file system or from an URL? Because the file reader supports reading files from HTTP and HTTPS and that might trigger some network code.

Hi again, for some reason it is all working now… @mareike.hoeger I will send you the full error log in a private message. The “login status” that I just added shows that I am not logged in to Kerberos, so the problem might not have to do with that after all.

@AlexanderFillbrunn everything was just local, as I could not even trigger the configuration window of the node to show. Thanks for now.

Hey @smounir,
great to hear that it is working now, that could have been solved by permanently showing the icon. The first stacktrace indicates that creating that icon cause the Nullpointer exception.
I will try to debug this issue. However I do not see how the configuration of the Reader node would trigger this right now. So I appreciate that you want to send me the logs.

best regards Mareike

hey @mareike.hoeger, the error is back and persistent again. Can’t make it work, also not with the icon showing. I can’t find out how to send you a private message for the full logfile, please let me know. Thanks!

Hey @smounir,
the error log shows a completely different error, your issue has nothing to do with Kerberos:

Error while creating node dialog for 'File Reader': null
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getDefaultFrc(FontDesignMetrics.java:157)
    	at sun.font.FontDesignMetrics.getMetrics(FontDesignMetrics.java:278)
    	[...]

I searched for that error and it seems to be a MacOS issue in combination with jdk. See this bug report: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8203406

Which version of MacOS are you running?

MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
On my home network the error is gone now again…

This stack trace has been discussed here Cannot open any node in my workspace anymore

2 Likes

Haha oh wow, so it has to do with using external monitors. Glad there is at least some kind of workaround for the problem then. Thanks @quaeler!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.